Scenery in G - Hills in paper mache'

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by N Gauger, Sep 19, 2004.

1. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

I was asked how I do scenery & thought it was time to pass on my favorite technique. I've done scenery in Z, N & G and find G to be the easiest, but the largest area. :)

First you have to decide where the scenery belongs. This is a 2 Foot square corner of the MF&W RR in my basement.

Attached Files:

2. N Gauger

You can see my cats have had a good time tearing apart the "green paper". You can also see how I actually built the layout. 3/4 plywood, on a 2 X 4 frame. The grade is cut out of 3/4 plywood and held up with various pieces of wood. Everything including the track is screwed together with different sized drywall screws. If you lift up on that wood, that the track sits on - you can actually lift the entire corner of the layout. :)
  3. N Gauger

Well - to get started. I use Fiberglass screen because I have had great luck with the White Glue adhering to it. I always try to cut the screen off the roll (using scissors) in a size that will give me the least waste. I position the screen to give the best coverage. This is about a 2 Ft square piece.

Attached Files:

4. N Gauger

You can see the staples I used to secure it - 4 of them right along the side of the track on the light colored wood.
  5. N Gauger

Now - it has to be trimmed & secured on the bottom. Along the edge of the layout.

Keep your eye on the section that over hangs the track :)

Attached Files:

6. N Gauger

You see where it went?? It just happened to fit to the right rear. You can see it better on the top photo above.
  7. N Gauger

Now I get the pan & glue mixture ready. I use a 50/50 mix of white glue & room temperature water, with a tablespoon of dishwashing detergent. This makes a milk like working media. I then take newspaper & find the way to "rip" it into 2" wide strips. Paper has a "grain" to it - if you rip along the grain - it rips nice & straight.

Attached Files:

8. N Gauger

Trust me - this is Messy!!! Put the paper under the bowl :) :) I also put paper towels aside to wipe my hands & also to protect the track.
  9. N Gauger

Well - now we're ready to get dirty. You take each strip, dunk it into the glue & squeegee it off through 2 fingers like a wringer - you just want to take the excess glue off the paper - as long as the paper is entirly wet - your fine. :)

No, you cant wear rubber gloves - you really need to feel the paper & be able to pick it up off the screen "when" you misplase one :D Guess how I know?? :D :D To give you an idea of the area - the screwdriver holding the paper towel down is 6" long.

I start putting the strips around the perimeter of the work area - this lets me see right away if a strip needs to be shorter (torn down).

Attached Files:

10. N Gauger

You can see that the glue is already spreading through the screen. :)
  11. N Gauger

I just keep overlapping strips in all different directions until I have covered the area in 3 - 4 layers of paper. The more you put down and at different angles, the stronger it will be.

Attached Files:

12. N Gauger

Now, talk about little or no waste... See what happened to the paper towel??? It became the base for my "top of the hill" runoff lines. :D In the second pic - you can see the different angles that the strips were placed.

Attached Files:

13. N Gauger

Well the base for my layout party is done. You'll see the detailing done during the party. For now, I'm posting another thread about making caves & Rocks :)
  14. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

very nicely done :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  15. N Gauger

Thanks - I figured it was time for another "How to" :D
  16. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Neat Mikey!! Can't wait to see it painted.

Val
  17. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

18. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

Great idea Mikey. Now here's the question. How much room is that taking up. I have a G scale train too.

Andy
  19. N Gauger

The "Corner"???? It's 18" X 18"

The layout??? is 12 Ft wide X 8 Ft deep :)