Scenery and Buildings for HO train set

NewToThis

Jan 19, 2007
A year ago our son "graduated" from wooden trains (Brio, etc.) to his first electric set. We bought him a Bachman HO scale Sante Fe train set, and a lot of extra tracks. Now he is asking for houses, etc. I see Bachmann sells Plasticville, and I just bought some pieces on Ebay. I also am looking at some ihc-hobby things. He is only 7 and, while he is fairly careful with his trains...he is only 7, so I am not looking to purchase anything expensive. He sets up and tacks apart the set...part of his fun is the creativity in doing this...so things will be moved around. Some of the ihc-hobby buildings, trucks for scenery, etc., are quite inexpensive. I'm wondering if anyone has purchased these things and if they are really too cheap quality-wise. Any suggestions? Thanks!:wave:

radar

Jan 14, 2007
wichita , KS
new to this
There okay buildings ,I would use liquid glue and a small paint brush be careful with all or any glue fumes. I do not no if any body makes a non-toxic glue for plastic.

NewToThis

Jan 19, 2007
Thank you...but I'm just buying built up buildings and already painted buildings at the moment...no doubt the lower end of the spectrum, but better for a 7 year old! :)

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
At 7, would you trust him with scissors or a sharp knife? (I know some 17 year olds I wouldn't trust with a sharp knife.) You can often find books of cutout HO buildings, usually in museum bookstores but sometimes in chain bookstores. They'll probably be something unsuitable for the train (colonial New England or Wild West) but he may not mind. & should be a good age for starting on something like this. I would probably watch hime and give a few suggestions on the frst few.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I just purchased a couple of IHC building kits and the quality is OK. Not super. The price is right but I didn't notice if they sell ready built models. They are quick and easy to assemble and can be snapped together without glue if you desire. My reason for buying them was to use for kitbashed parts so I'll be using only parts of the kit. I think they would work well for your son if you have time to assemble them. Some of them come with a base so they are free standing.

NewToThis

Jan 19, 2007
Jim--Thank you for this info re the IHC building kits. I was afraid to look at them...I only looked at the already built models.

60103--I don't understand your post. I am looking at built models only, nothing he needs to paint, glue, cut, etc. I like the idea of buildings in books...never heard of this, but he loves books, so this would be an interesting blending of two things he loves!

Thanks again to everyone!

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
I think the snap together or IHC type kits will be good for my son as he likes to build/ construct... I think it will be educational as well as a way for him to participate in the actual build. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

NewToThis- is your child excessively rough or are you just looking for something that can be handled a lot? Maybe he would enjoy building some of the simple kits? And the cut outbuildings would probably be great. you could even do the cutting and let him glue or even tape? Just trying to add to the ideas.

racer25j

Jan 15, 2007
Hemet, Ca
New is looking for something pre-assembled and inexpensive. Unfortunatly, I'm not sure there is such a thing in this hobby. I think the plastiville is the cheapest out there.

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
I have dozens of used, made kits from ebay and simply kits I have repainted.

Keep looking for nice built ons and simply kits.