Scenery advice sought...

Howdy!

Say, I posted this on another train forum. I’m looking for advice on how to complete this derrick scene.
The cone of sand is just that, I found a metal cone with a profile I liked, and painted it with tan, flat latex. Then I sifted beach sand over it.
IMG_3113.jpg

IMG_3115.jpg

After gluing the cone and other structures to a board, I put a thick coat of paint on the base board and sifted sand over the rest. I like the way the sand gathered around, but I know that when I shake off the loosen sand, those lovely dunes will be gone.
My plan is to spray it with window cleaner to break up the surface tension, then soak it with 50/50 white glue, ala ballasting. I’ll bet there’s a quarter inch of sand under that derrick. Will gluing it this way work? Will the sand glob up when I spray it? I don’t want to ruin it.
Thanks in advance...

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
You can use isopropyl alcohol to soak the sand first. I have ballasted, and "built" piles of coal this way.

The isopropyl alcohol is available in a 50 to 70% solution at the dollar store - no further cutting with water is required. Then soak it with your glue mix. Just make sure that it is very smooth and is given enough time to really dry.

Andrew

N

nachoman

Holy crap Kyle, I thought that was real for a second!

Kevin

UKSteam

Wow is right and if I may use a slang from back in the UK , I'm absolutely gobsmacked !!!
That is a beautiful job done on that project. Yes it does look like a photo' of the real thing. Well done indeed on that EngineerKyle.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Glad the advice worked out (phew!).

And for the record - I was fooled for more than a few seconds...! :thumb: :thumb:

Andrew