Scary but fun

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Val,You did a GREAT job weathering that engine..The weathering is not overstated nor is it understated.It looks real! Two thumbs up and a big KUDOS girl! :thumb: :thumb:

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks very much folks!!! You guys make it all worthwhile.

I have a question for Jerry, or for that matter anyone who has experience with this - have you ever tried a blackening solution for siderods? I'm curious how that would work.

Val

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
Val, I have tried blackening solutions but the results are not always the subtile effect I'm looking for. As a professional custom painter for 10 years, I prided myself on my weathering and striving to make it look authentic. I can't hold a candle to the craftsman who do the logging, narrow gauge etc but that was not my nitch. Most of my customers (and personal modeling) has been more mainline power. Thus the blackening MAY work or be approriate on the "rust bucket" power but I have my doubts. I stand pat on my bead blasting technique although I realize it is drastic for many.

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
I tried "Blacken It" on some old Rivarossi siderods. ALl I can say is..."DON'T DO IT!!!".

Instead of blackening, they corroded. THey look like a 50 year old battery terminal in a car. THankfully it was an old set that I had no use for (at the time - I'm crying over the loss now).
I'd recommend paint - if you're careful not to scratch it - or possibly gun-blueing. I've painted the rods on an old Rivarossi 0-8-0 and it came out fairly well, however I used Model Flex acrylic, and the rods are binding a little. I've yet to try the blueing agent.

Michael

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks for the advice Jerry and Michael. I think all "blackening" solutions are really just tarnish in one form or another. I suppose once tarnishing starts it may very well continue. I have read about gun-bluing online but have no idea where to get it. We don't have gun shops here. Hmmmm, perhaps a jewelry supply place?
Also I'm assuming the siderods are nickel silver.

Val

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Val: try Canadian Tire for gun blue. I'm never sure about rods. They're never quite rusty, more of a grease with dirt in it. The piston rods, where they go into the piston should be shiny metal or light brown oil colour.