Scalecoat paint

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I just bought a bottle of Scalecoat paint, CN#11 yellow and was wondering if I thin it with Laquer or enamel thinner. The bottle tells me to use scalecoat thinner but that's it.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Glen, I've used Scalecoat paints (not Scalecoat II) for several diesels and a good number of passenger cars and I always thin it with lacquer thinner (Canadian Tire, about $10.00 a gallon ;) ). You'll get a nice glossy finish, ready for decals, but be sure to let it dry completely: it takes longer than Floquil. I like to let it sit for at least a week, so that it hardens completely.

Wayne

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Thanks Wayne, that's exactly what I need to know. I have used scalecoat paints before but it has been 15 years and didn't know if they had changed the formula. Even so I'll be testing the airbrush out on a scrap piece before I spray my Proto switcher

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Glenn

My experience with the older Scalecoat solvent paints was they tended to settle out fairly quickly. Or maybe it was just me not using the paint I had enough. It was a bear to shake the bottle enough to get the pigment back into suspension. Is the solvent-based Scalecoat line still being made?

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I painted the yellow this afternoon and it turned out very well. I would perfer to use a better airbrush since the fine pigments could use better spray pattern than my cheap Badger 250 gives so it took a couple coats (very thin) to cover properly. It was also a little cool out yet for painting.
Fred, This is Scalecoat I (the solvent based stuff) It was specialy mixed for the CN SIG group so I guess it's as close to CNR green and yellow as you can get.