Saying farwell

TexDoc

Aug 20, 2006
Corpus Christi, TX
Gil,
I would recommend hospice, not only for you, but for your loved ones. There is much that is provided, but the most important thing is the loving support and goal of making every day the best day it can be for as long as you live.
I am a hospice Chaplain here in Corpus Christi, and know first hand what hospice can provide. It is not giving up or giving in, but instead, getting comfort care and support that includes nursing, CNA's, social workers, Chaplain, bereavement care, any and all you choose to utilize. And normally it is a 100% Medicare benefit or covered by insurance.

Chaparral

Feb 5, 2007
Calgary Alberta
In return I can only offer you this, trust in God always and you will never be alone. You will never be afraid or lost if you do. At leaste I have come to believe that of late.

Grace, serenity and strength overflow when God is in your heart.
Blessings on you, Gil Finn.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way, but this is just... really weird. Of course I'm saddened by the news but I'm not willing to concede defeat on your behalf just yet. You've got something very important in your life here... friends. Don't say goodbye to us when you are entering a time where we can offer you the comfort of friendship and the joy of a shared hobby. As long as you are able, you keep communicating with us whether it be via a wireless laptop or even another friend.
Rest assured, we're here for you.
In my prayers...

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Steve,
The beauty of the hand of God can be seen in all his creation, you need but look with your heart. The greatest beauty though, cannot be seen until the eyes close in eternal rest. It is then that we all can come to know that beauty, the beauty that it does not end here. We don't end up alone on a depot platform, we just change trains. Go with God, friend. He's far more pleasant than we are lead to believe. My thoughts and prayers go with you,
Pete
By the way, that's the best looking sitation squat I've ever seen!

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Thank you all for the wonderful expressions and the cards.

I have opted for dialisis and am postponing the in home hospice for a while, they tell me I can't have both. I still have some kidney funtion but not enough to pull off the many liters of fluid I have.

This will let concentrate on fighting for what little liver function I have left.

My son took all the train stuff and put it storage and helped with the house cleaning last weekend.

I may give some of it away with his help.

By the way, I bought an Ugly Stick and a new Okuma reel for it today on line. I cant get out or drive but some days I can set at the key board. Today was pretty good, I got up for several hours this afternoon and went out in the yard a bit.

When I go, there will be a rod in my hand
icon_wink.gif

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I just saw this thread and I'm sorry to hear this sad news, Steve. I have appreciated your input on this forum. I too am a believer and I know how God ultimately gives our lives purpose and meaning. May God bless you in the days ahead and may you be encouraged by His presence. Rob

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Steve,
I am a childhood cancer survivor so I understand, somewhat, of the mortality we all share. There are a few passages that I really find encouragement in...such as this which Paul wrote...
Philippians 1:20-26
20 For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die. 21 For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. 22 But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don’t know which is better. 23 I’m torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me. 24 But for your sakes, it is better that I continue to live. 25 Knowing this, I am convinced that I will remain alive so I can continue to help all of you grow and experience the joy of your faith. 26 And when I come to you again, you will have even more reason to take pride in Christ Jesus because of what he is doing through me.

As Paul was writing from a prison cell, and it is in passages like this that I really feel alive...to be alive for Christ rather than merely myself...at to think of how nothing I can imagine could prepare me for the wonders of being with Christ! It is sad to be those people left behind that Paul refers to, and it is sad for you to think of us, but we should also celebrate that a brother is going home to our father. If you beat me there, I look forward to you showing me around God's enginehouse.:)

Michael

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
If you beat me there, I look forward to you showing me around God's enginehouse.
For some reason this reminded me of that childhood song...

I'm on my way to his mansion, on the heavenly day express.
The name upon the engine is J E S U S.
And when the conductor calls, ALL ABOARD!
I'll gladly answer YES!
I'm on my way to his mansion, on the heavenly day express!

See! Everything is train related.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Steve [Gil] Im really sorry to hear of this news. Thank-you for all the awesome comments and awesome input you have giving me and everyone else on this great forum.

I wish you and your family the best of luck, my thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

jimh

Sep 7, 2007
I have heard it said that it is not what we take with us that mark us as a person but that which we leave behind.

While I am brand new, wet behind the ears to this forum, the comments that I have read here say volumes about what you have left behind in the people whose lives you have touched.

If you can find any measure of peace in that then so much the better.