Sawmill "Floor Plan"

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Well I did not have much luck locating plans/instructions for the Muir Sawmill (see the original request), so could anyone please provide some guidance about how these things go together?

I only have a few exterior pictures, and my searching has lead to many more exterior pictures, but I am wondering about the actual floor plan. The kit has some interesting parts, including several saw blades, and metal rods.

Also, I am wondering if this is a chance to build a steam boiler to power the saw? I am somewhat familiar with water-powered saw mills, but the Muir Kit is not one of those...

Any light anyone can shed on this problem would be most appreciated!

Andrew

Hello again Andrew. I clicked on "original request" in your first post and saw the photo of your mill. That would be a single-sided mill (one carriage, one saw, live rolls, edger, live rolls, probably a cutoff saw, and transfer table) probably all operated off an overhead belt drive and might easily be powered by a steam engine.

For a long-ongoing planing mill project of mine, I've used machinery from SS Ltd. (now owned by JAKS Industries) and Keystone Locomotive Works. If you are looking for machinery in HO scale, these are good choices. Photos of the machinery can be found through the Walthers search engine. Keystone Locomotive Works does not appear to have a website at the moment, but their mailing address is, according to the NMRA, Keystone Locomotive Works, P.O. Box J, Pulteney, NY 14874.

Sawmill plans have been published in "Timber Times" magazine and in the "Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette". Either might be able to suggest appropriate back-issues if you e-mail them. I sure hope this helps--I know it can be a bear to have what seems like the perfect structure all set to build and have only a vague idea on how to go about detailing it! Good luck, and please keep us posted on your progress. We might all learn from your efforts.
--Stu--

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi guys...

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. There was a brief flickering light at the end of the original tunnel - that is to say I thought the store was going to come through, but they did not in the end.

Anyway, thank you for the plans, links, and other helpful tips. Looks like I will be busy doing some research before building... :)

Andrew