Saw somthing intresting today

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
Hey I thought I was seing things today I was at work and from my spot in the yard I sit about 6 blocks from the local line thought I saw a blue loco going down the line but then thought better of it since I never see anything but the normal UP and few HLCX leasers on out line and maby a SP patch once in a great while but bout a hour later it came rolling back it was a Conrail Quality dash ?? not for sure on that in lead a plain grey didnt see any markings or road numbers dash?? in the middle and a UP GP pulling up the rear:confused: I think it was the local doing some running in between here and there but what would they be doing around here??

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Run-through power off NS most likely. If it was in fact a GE then the Conrail unit was a C40-8W and the unpainted unit was an NS C40-9W.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
It could also be leased power. U.P. is leasing quite a bit of extra power. If the NS or CSX sold off some surplus Conrail power, it may have gone to a leasing company. Some of the leasing companies just put their reporting marks over the top of the original owner's paint.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
NS and CSX wouldn't be leasing any of their own power as they are just as power short as the rest of the Class 1 systems. CSX and NS both still own all the former "Conrail Quality" GEs that they inherited in the split, too. There would be no chance then that if it was indeed a "Conrail Quality" unit that it would be in a lease fleet now.

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
Talked to one of the Club members that got pics of it he said that it was a UP patch on the on the Conrail and the grey thing was a former Sp.that was in the primer stage

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
who_dat73 said:
Talked to one of the Club members that got pics of it he said that it was a UP patch on the on the Conrail and the grey thing was a former Sp.that was in the primer stage

I UP patch on a Conrail unit? I challenge you to prove this...

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
I swear thats what he said if I get the pics from him I will post them I am kinda new to rail fanning so I am no expert on all things RR LOL.
I thought somone said that night that Conrail was no more?? But I thought A have seen recint Con. pics here in real thing????