Saw a Huge Front Yard G Gauge Layout tonight!!!

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by smullen, Dec 23, 2006.

1. smullen

smullen New Member

My mom, sister and my daughter had been telling me about this guys train running around his yard and I should go see it, so Tonight, my family and I went to check it out...

WOW!!! This guys whole front yard was done up.... Front the house all the way to the curb... I'm guessing it was about 30 feet from curb to house and about 50+ feet wide...

The whole thing as awsome... I know there were atleast 3 levels, a huge waterfall in the center that went from the house to the curb and each of the tracks had to cross it, so there were several bridges... There were atleast 8 tunnel, (4) two upper an two lower went into the basement, so he could park the trains inside at night...

There was even a drive in that had like a bunch of old cars parked at it and he had a 12-15" LCD that was set up to be the screen... It was playing old Christmas movies...

He had a trolly, three newer looking diesles and an old Steamer...

Two of the diesles were pulling freight cars that each one was a candy, like M&Ms, Twixs, Hershey, etc... There was a helocopter and on one side there was a sort of a ski lift looking set up with 2 cable cars running across about a 10 foot span...

Man it was increadible.... Sorry my details are so jumbled and scattered... But I was really exicted about it....

I was standing there with my pop and we were both in awe.... He said Grandpa (whos been gone about 4 years now) woulda really flipped out over this, huh... Then he said well, what do you think of it... I said, Its awsome dad, I can't beleive all the stuff this guy has going on; I was expecting a big loop maybe a figure eight, But WOW!!! Thanks for bringing me... I felt like a little kid again...

All in all it was a pretty neat sceene...

They had the street blocked off and a bunch of the houses (4 on each side maybe 5 or 6) were decorated to the T...

The train house had a fire pit going in the drive way for the onlookers to get warm at..
    They had a kinda make shift canopy in the driveway where they were making and giving out free Hot Cocco and Freash Popped Pop Corn, the house next door, besides being all decorated up, had a table with a Projecter like for a home theater and it was projecting onto about a 98" screen showing the old original Rudolph, or atleast the one I saw when I was a kid...

Then a Fire truck came screaming up the street and a Big Fat Jolly Santa, hopped off the back... He went up onto the porch and was sitting in a big throne they had set up and the little kids were lined up to sit on his lap and get their pics taken... The lady that lived there had a really nice looking digital cam set up on a tripod and was taking each kids pic and printing it out on a picture printer and giving them to the kids for free...

Santa even waved at me and said Hi Scott.... How he knew my name, I couldn't tell you...

The place was like a Winter wonderland... Way cooler envioment than anything at the mall or any commerical christmas enviorment I had saw!!!

I took a few pics with my crappy digtal cam and tried to get a few videos with it, but I think thay all came out horrible... I'll look thought them later and try to post them up tommorow...

I'd love to go back durring the day and take some really nice clear pics of the layout as I'm still in awe!!!

I'm prolly overdoing it and you guys might not think it was that big of a deal, but to me it was pretty neat! Coolest setup I've ever seen in person...
  2. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Sounds terrific! I wonder if he's ever been featured in your local newspaper?
    Ralph
  3. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

I don't know about over doing it, I'd like to see pictures of it!

Sould cool!

Rick
  4. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Yeah - Pictures would be great! :) Sounds really cool!!!
  5. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I'd love to see pictures, even if they're poorly lit. A big train layout is always something to get excited about seeing.
  6. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Your only mistake is posting no pics...we have severe penalties for that here, starting with thirty daze running nothing but a Bachmann Nascar trainset on a loop of track (left turns only) with an original TYCO "Sound of Steam" station scratching away in the background.:D :D :D
  7. smullen

smullen New Member

Sorry for taking so long, its been a hectic day with the getting ready for the Holidays and working on the Houses one I'm renting and one I bought that were remodeling...

I got some pics uploaded to my domain...

Here is a link to a directory where I put a buncha pics...

1st Be warned, they are big like 1600x1200 or so and they aren't that good...

They were taken at night by a low end cam and a low end photographer(me) and I had to shoot around and between like 300+ people all looking and takin pics too...

http://www.midwest-signsanddesigns.com/junk/ModelTrains-Overland-Christmas06/

Hope ya enjoy'em a bit.... I know thay aren't that good compared to the ones I've seen here...

If I can get back there durring the day, and take some better ones I will...
  8. UKSteam

UKSteam Member

Thanks for the pics Smullen. They were great, very impressed with what he's done, more impressed with your rapturous description of the truly wonderful way the other neighbours have all pulled together and added to the whole experience for the kids. Lovely to see happy and smiling faces at this time of year. Feeling kind of christmassy myself now :)
  9. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Hmm, Overland. That's across the metro area from me, but if they do this again next year, I'm thinking road trip! Thanks for sharing the pics--I think it's definitely worthy of the description you gave!
  10. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Great Pics - Really some good scenes there :) Thanks for posting them :)
  11. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Really cool pictures, thanks for taking the time to post em:thumb:

Merry Christmas

Rick
  12. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

You are being way too hard on yourself. Those pics look pretty good to me. A couple were a little on the blurry side but for the most part, you had some great shots in there.

That layout is pretty impressive too. I'd love to have something like that running through my yard. (Where's that winning lottery ticket?? :curse: ) If you get a chance to talk to the guy that did that, be sure to tell him, "Nice job!" for all of us. :thumb:
  13. Buddog

Buddog Member

Wow, I want one

tom