Save those power packs!

petey

May 17, 2004
Andy,
What an interesting idea. I presume you are alluding to the battery charging circuitry. I have thought, many times, that unused converters, with sufficient output, would be useful for these pourposes.
Denis

F

Fred_M

Been using wall warts for years. They can power lights, switch machines, even locos with a throttle attached to them. Fred

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
When I cleaned out my electronic repair shop and scavenged the motors, gears LEDs and whatnot from anything left over, I had a special box just for the wall warts. I knew that they would come in handy someday. Just plug them all into a switched outlet strip so you can be sure that they are all turned off at the end of a session.

F

Fred_M

Just build a simple and cheap voltage regulator from a LM317Tand scaps and even that 19.5V can run LEDs without a dropping resistor. One LM317T will run about 50 LEDs. You can also use resistors with LEDs. Here's a great site Shamus found http://linear1.org/ckts/led.php ,The resistor drops the voltage to what the LED nee3d to survive Andy, most Leds are 3.3 v and 20 ma so use that figure when you don't know. Fred

An ATX power supply can be a useful source of power too. On the big 18-pin plug, if you ground the green wire to the black wire, it'll power up, and then you can make use of its 3.3 volt, 5 volt, and 12 volt connections, or mix them to get 1.7 volts, 8.7 volts, or 7 volts. You can get the pinout at http://www.ts-consulting.net/ATXPS.HTM, among other places. Just be careful--Dell power supplies are different, even though they look ATX.

200-watt ATX power supplies that are no longer useful for computers are dirt, dirt cheap, and *plenty* useful for stuff like this.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
200-watt ATX power supplies that are no longer useful for computers are dirt, dirt cheap, and *plenty* useful for stuff like this.
Just one word of caution here. 200 Watt......A computer power supply can deliver 40 AMPS of current, at 5 VOLTS (5V X 40A=200 W)
If you get a wedding/class ring across that 5V circuit........it will get hot enough to bar-b-que the ring finger. :eek: It's not the voltage, I've been nailed by 14,000 volts, it's the current through the body that maims, and kills.
Pete

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Pete is right here - take care with high current outputs! Always install some sort of a current limiter - this can be a elaborate electronic contraption or even a simple fuse.

It is mainly the current (Amperes) which is responsible for heating up a wire. If you install bus connections under the layout which carry high currents, be sure to use very heavy gauge wire. In case of a short somewhere thin wires quickly are heating up... :eek: :eek: You don't want your house go up in flames, do you?

BTW- the same holds true for trickle charged car batteries as a power source. These things can deliver currents up to more than 200 Amperes. (That's a normal peak current when you are starting your car.)
Long time ago, when I looked for more power for a slot racing layout, I installed such a power source. Accidentally I touched both poles with a small screwdriver - the metal was vaporized instantly and I had quite nasty burns on my fingers! :eek:ops: (Still have the scars.) That's why for my model RR room, car batteries are a definite no-no!

Ron

Ron,
All controllers should be fused with quick blo fuses. I fuse the track side, at 25% higher than the expected required max. Resetable circuit breakers are also a good idea.
Even 3 Amps will weld Rings and other jewelry to the tracks. I've been caught by accidentaly shorting a large Cap with my wedding ring.
Cheers.

F

Fred_M

Yep, putting on a wedding ring causes enough pain and scarring with shorting it out and branding you too. An old trick from the 50's was to use a car headlight as a current limiter in series with high amp power supplies. Works great and is cheap. Also it's easy to know when you have a short as it lights up. Fred

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
On my slot car circuit, car headlights were used with good success by me, too. Afterwards... (see above) :D :D :D

Frankly, I had forgotten this simple trick. Thanks for reminding me, Fred!

Ron

Can You beat this?

I have seen all kinds of power supplies on here. That is good! However, here's my Astron RS-35A power supply. The specs on are the following: 13.8vdc and 35amps! It powers my Kenwood TS440 and TM721A radios, Palomar meter, and a test lug on the workbend. And yes, EVERYTHING is fused!

Andy

www.astron.com

Attachments

• meterliteweb.jpg
    meterliteweb.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 60