Saturn V Main Engines

ovation

Jun 27, 2009
Hi all,
Ive been patiently making Greelt's Saturn V,well..the engines and lower section,
I did make 1 of the engines with its display stand and I guess it went from there :mrgreen:

Making 5 of these things was quite repetitive but although its not as perfect as I intended I'm still hoping to continue with the full 1'st stage body ....

2njjz1k.jpg

2n6yygz.jpg

2ur5h03.jpg

This has been one of the biggest models Ive started on and it feels a bit daunting when I see pics of the completed model,

Ive already made the upper stage J-2 as well,

JJ-UK

Reactions: lyter1958

bulldogowner

Destroyer of Spam
Oct 12, 2006
West Michigan
Excellent build!! I have to admit, I've started the engines on this a couple times...sadly I haven't gotten this far. More pics of the rest of the build please!!

SAustin16

Sep 24, 2006
Texas, USA
Beautiful build of a truly beautiful and detailed model. Greelt's model will be sought after for years to come. I only hope he continues developing the rest of the stack. I second Bulldog...please continue to post your progress.

P

Paper Kosmonaut

I love the detail on those engines. Great job! From where I'm standing it looks clean and pretty well made. Curious if you'll build further up. I'd try and make use of other builders' kits. Like Craig Hewlett's CSM.

Ridgeback

Nov 24, 2008
Beautiful job! I hope Greelt can be persuaded to complete production of all the stages of this amazing Saturn V kit.

ovation

Jun 27, 2009
Thanks for the comments,But all I did was print/cut out/glue :mrgreen:
full respect to Greelt for the model,

Im waiting for a realy detailed 2nd and 3rd stage engine section before continuing,

JJ-UK :thumb:

Nov 29, 2010
Lakeland Fl.
I hate to burst your buble but Greelt has'nt been heard from in three years. But not to worry, I just completed the 1/48 Sat V stack, I had to do some searching but I found parts from other designers that will work. Fredric Boucher has the second stage based on greelt's design, however he doesn't have the top ring that goes before the tapered section so I used the top ring from Ton's second stage and used ton's third stage and SM. You can find ton's stack on Lower Hudson Valley web site. I used Greelt's J2's on the third and second stage and made alot of my own parts, I'm including some photos.

Attachments

• Sat V 48 010.jpg
    Sat V 48 010.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Sat V 48 013.jpg
    Sat V 48 013.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Sat V 48 020.jpg
    Sat V 48 020.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Sat V 48 034.jpg
    Sat V 48 034.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 64
  • Sat V 48 029.jpg
    Sat V 48 029.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Sat V 48 026.jpg
    Sat V 48 026.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 65
Nov 29, 2010
Lakeland Fl.
Here's a few more. Oh by the way your going to have to make some locking tabs to hold the stages together or you won't be able to move it without it falling apart, or disassembleing and reassembaling it every time you want to move it.

Attachments

• Sat V 48 037.jpg
    Sat V 48 037.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Sat V 48 027.jpg
    Sat V 48 027.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Sat V 48 016.jpg
    Sat V 48 016.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Sat V 48 012.jpg
    Sat V 48 012.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 70

ovation

Jun 27, 2009
It is one seriously big model aint it ?
I was thinking about making just the engine thrust structures and fairings and leaving out the actual long fuel stages,
It'd look a bit strange .. but at least it'd fit in the room :mrgreen:

JJ-UK

Nov 29, 2010
Lakeland Fl.
Yea, it's big. over six feet standing on Greelt's launch pad. My wife gave me alot of static as it grew... where you gonna put that thing...where you gonna put that thing. I told her if she didn't quit worrying about it I would get rid of her six foot curryer cabinet and all those little nick nackes and put it right there.
As far as only building the engine and display or thrust structure, yea, well thats all I thought I was going to do. if you do decied to go all the way, count on building the launch pad because the engines won't handle the weight with out damaging them.

ennder

Jul 26, 2008
Very nice build :) Looks better then mine.

Closet Astronaut yours looks good too :)

ovation

Jun 27, 2009
"Fredric Boucher has the second stage based on greelt's design"

Is this a free kit too ?
If so have you a link please ??

JJ-UK

Nov 29, 2010
Lakeland Fl.
I didn,t keep the link. the way I found it was by searching the net, I think I found it through a thread I was linked to from the search on paper modelers forum. It doesn,t have all the parts needed, I had to incorperate some of Ton's second stage to complete it. If you PM me with an e-email I'll try to send it to you. I'll dig around again to see if I can find the link.

SWA2873

Dec 3, 2010
USA
Beautiful Job!!!

I hate to burst your buble but Greelt has'nt been heard from in three years. But not to worry, I just completed the 1/48 Sat V stack, I had to do some searching but I found parts from other designers that will work. Fredric Boucher has the second stage based on greelt's design, however he doesn't have the top ring that goes before the tapered section so I used the top ring from Ton's second stage and used ton's third stage and SM. You can find ton's stack on Lower Hudson Valley web site. I used Greelt's J2's on the third and second stage and made alot of my own parts, I'm including some photos.

Nov 29, 2010
Lakeland Fl.
ovation
check your e-mail I shipped the parts you needed. Also I think the reason your search and mine was no good is I spelled fredrerics name wrong, correct spelling....Bouchar.. not er.

mysteroid

Jul 1, 2008
Hong Kong
Ovation, great build! :thumb:

I've got the engines done myself and am working on the thrust structure. I was going to cross the upper stage bridge when I got there.

Closet, your build looks marvelous. Any chance on a separate build thread or some more specific details? Also, could you upload your parts to the download section (since many of us will probably need them!)?

Steve

ovation

Jun 27, 2009
Thanks,got the email and the parts,
(it was in my spam bin :rolleyes: )

.. just ran out of ink :rolleyes::mrgreen:

JJ-UK