Saturn SA-5

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by ekuth, Sep 9, 2006.

1. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Thanks McPeek- the NASA Illustrations page link decisively answered this question for us:

View attachment 3356

You can see on the left side of the illustration that the area in question are Blowout Panels.

I'm assuming that the panels were designed to break away during separations, which would make more sense from an aerodynamic standpoint. Without the panels in place, the airstream would tend to cause turbulence in that area...

So, you could model it either way- solid or with the blowout panels removed.

*bows to McPeek's research skills*

I'm pleased with how many details I was able to get right by studying the photographs I had access to, though... of course now I have more things to do to make a completely authentic model. :roll:
  2. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Blow-out panels

Yes the interstage of the Saturn I was designed with blow-out panels. No they did not fly installed on SA-5. They flew that mission with the areas open to test the areodynamics of the vehicle without them. The missions before Sa-5 had dummy stages & interstage, (no blow-outs). The missions after SA-5 had the blow-out panels installed, (the roll livery hid them from view).

Thanks,

Carl
  3. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Blow-out panels

Yes the interstage of the Saturn I was designed with blow-out panels. No they did not fly installed on SA-5. They flew that mission with the areas open to test the areodynamics of the vehicle without them. The missions before Sa-5 had dummy stages & interstage, (no blow-outs). The missions after SA-5 had the blow-out panels installed, (the roll livery hid them from view).

Thanks,

Carl
  4. ekuth

ekuth Guest

And there we have it!

Thanks guys!
  5. ekuth

ekuth Guest

And there we have it!

Thanks guys!
  6. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Just FYI on Saturn I

Lars is designing the Staurn I Missions (1-4), 1:100th scale. He sent me some progress photos. I am really impressed. I will ask him if I can post them, (if you guys want to see). The Missions from (6 on), will be the big chall., (Research). Let me know if you need some help. I will go into my Uncle Dave's old progress photos, from The Cape, & Huntsville. The only thing I do not have much information on is the Peg. payloads. That will require some real digging. They claimed them to be for Micro-met. research. The Military was using them as instru. platforms too. I think that if models are designed/built with the payload, it should be shown with the public released version, (due to my lack of details, on the extra harware, (Just my 2 cent)).

Have a great day,

Carl
  7. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Just FYI on Saturn I

Lars is designing the Staurn I Missions (1-4), 1:100th scale. He sent me some progress photos. I am really impressed. I will ask him if I can post them, (if you guys want to see). The Missions from (6 on), will be the big chall., (Research). Let me know if you need some help. I will go into my Uncle Dave's old progress photos, from The Cape, & Huntsville. The only thing I do not have much information on is the Peg. payloads. That will require some real digging. They claimed them to be for Micro-met. research. The Military was using them as instru. platforms too. I think that if models are designed/built with the payload, it should be shown with the public released version, (due to my lack of details, on the extra harware, (Just my 2 cent)).

Have a great day,

Carl
  8. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Well, I think I'll hold off on further work until I see what Lars has to offer... :wink:

No sense in duplicating efforts.
  9. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Well, I think I'll hold off on further work until I see what Lars has to offer... :wink:

No sense in duplicating efforts.
  10. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Lars Update

It looks like we are just a few days out from the release. He is doing the SA-1 thru SA-3. He has not said yet what he will do about the details for SA-4. The model will be in 1:100th scale. You will have to adjust your plot, (If you build his), to make it 1:96th, (to match yours). I have ask him if a I can post the progress pictures, (Waiting on his emial answer).

I will keep you updated.

Carl
  11. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Lars Update

It looks like we are just a few days out from the release. He is doing the SA-1 thru SA-3. He has not said yet what he will do about the details for SA-4. The model will be in 1:100th scale. You will have to adjust your plot, (If you build his), to make it 1:96th, (to match yours). I have ask him if a I can post the progress pictures, (Waiting on his emial answer).

I will keep you updated.

Carl
  12. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Good Evening Ekuth,

I'm currently building your model, and have one question: Where does Part E-4 go in the assembly. Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see it referenced in the instructions? E-4 looks like a 3D Cross and it's on PDF Page 4.

Thanks again for designing a great model. It's coming along very well.

Steve Austin
  13. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Steve;

E-4 is sort of a leftover part... it was originally designed to be centered between the four inboard engines on the main thrust assembly.

After alot of fiddling and several beta builds, I decided that it simply was more trouble than it's worth. LOL.

So, if you want to include it, go ahead! :)
  14. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Sa-6?

Are you working on the SA-6 Mission? Just a question? If not, could I have a .jpg of the second stage, & the Black tube of first stage from the SA-5, (To use in a repaint/bash)?

Thanks,

Carl
  15. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Well, I was going to do all of them, but held of because you said Lars was working on them... how's the progress on that?

PM me your email and I'll send the .jpgs along to ya.
  16. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Good Evening Ekuth,

Thanks for the info on the E-4 part. I think I'll try to include it. It's a cool little detail piece.

Steve Austin
  17. jparenti

jparenti Member

So ekuth, did you ever find out if you were going to proceed with the Saturns? I was so impressed with the SA-5, and I'd like to see more of them!