Saturn SA-5

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by ekuth, Sep 9, 2006.

1. speedless

speedless Member

Hi
    Many thanks to ekuth for letting us share his work,looking forward to build this
    apparently impressive rocket.This is really what this is about;sharing idears,whishes,thoughts,experience and getting friends all over the world.
    Ups,got a little carried away!
    Jan
  2. jparenti

jparenti Member

I think that description will nail it. As soon as I get home, I'll get back to work! (Sometimes, even the most adventurous and intelligent people need a picture! :grin: )
  3. ekuth

ekuth Guest

No problem at all. It's a PITA part, and just really a prime example of my nit-pickety obsessiveness. God forbid I should ever try to make an exact model of the SA-5... theres another one of those little buggers under the base wrap above the engines...

The model is as close as to authetic I could get, with the resources I had. Certain liberties were taken in the name of my sanity and for lack of data. (the interstage section especially) apparently, no one at NASA thought to take a picture of the inside of the interstage... :wink:

Looking forward to seeing the various build pics!
  4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I get an error opening file #1, Adobe complains that the file is damaged and cannot be repaired. All the others open fine. Anyone else having this problem?
  5. ekuth

ekuth Guest

It doesnt give me any difficulties- send me a PM with your email and I can send the file to you direct.
  6. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Attached Files:

7. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Major Snafu!

Okay, I just caught a MAJOR snafu with the IB-1 parts.

Somewhere, in the rearranging, tweaking, ect... they ended up far too small to fit the "spokes" of the wheel. I've corrected this and uploaded the correct PDF, which is #6 in the series, so download the corrected page before banging your head against the "wheel" assembly.

I've also split up the IB-1 parts into smaller sections rather than the long chain- fold in half and glue the unprinted sides together. Each one makes a completed I-beam.

Sorry guys! That's why it's beta, right? :oops:
  8. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Made some minor modifications to the Interstage section.

Please download PDF #4 for these.

Still tweaking it! :roll:
  9. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Attached Files:

10. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Attached Files:

11. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Attached Files:

12. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Attached Files:

13. jparenti

jparenti Member

Maybe I missed the step, but what connects the interstage to the first stage?
    Just finished everything but the fins - now I'm working on those!
  14. ekuth

ekuth Guest

The bottom of the interstage sits inside the fairing ring shown in the picture above. It's a rather snug friction fit.

Be sure to download the revised PDF, because the overlap length was not sufficient originally. :)
  15. jparenti

jparenti Member

That was my mistake. I used the old version.
    I'll print the new fairing and try it out tonight. Thanks for the help!
  16. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Actually, the fairing is fine... it's the interstage that was revised.
  17. the mole

the mole Member

Hi Ekuth,

I worked on your Saturn SA-5 over the weekend. Everthing is comming along fine. I started with the 1st Stage assemble. Your photos have been very helpful. I have gone to them a couple time. So far it looks like it wount be to hard to convert to a flying model. I hope I can keep the weight down so I can use a C size engine. That will be my second build, for now I am going to build this one using all the parts you have drawn.
  18. dhanners

dhanners Member

That is a very NICE-looking rocket so far. Keep 'em coming....
  19. the mole

the mole Member

Hi Ekuth,
    I am working on the fins tonight an when I got to cuting out fin FA-4 I notice there is no glue tab on the top portion of this fin like the other three.

Is this a small mastake or is it this way?
  20. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Good catch, I missed that one. Just cut it like the others or glue the top edge together... I'll fix it in the PDF.