Saturn SA-5

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by ekuth, Sep 9, 2006.

1. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Hey all-

I've been diligently putting together a 1/96 scale Saturn SA-5 and am almost ready to do beta build testing. (Say another couple of days)

Anyone interested in giving it a shot and providing me with feedback? :twisted:

PLEASE NOTE ALL PDF FILES ARE AVAILABLE ON PAGE TWO OF THIS THREAD, POSTS #16 and #17.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
  2. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

It might give it a try,I've always liked the old pre-Apollo Saturns
  3. jparenti

jparenti Member

I would definitely be interested. I'm all about the Saturns lately. :)
  4. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Sounds good. I'm almost finished with it- the angles of the upper stage/nosecone are giving me fits but I think I've got it about licked. Probably have it up for post on Monday. 8)
  5. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Okay, as an update, I've finally gotten the nosecone problems sorted out. I still need to design the Jupiter nosecone engine block, figure out where I'm going to connect the second stage assembly so that you can get a look at the spiderhead assembly on top of the fuel tanks and, of course, write up an assembly guide.

Revised deadline should be Wednesday. :-D
  6. the mole

the mole Member

Is it to late to get in on this beta test? I would like to see a good Saturn SA-5. I'm a sucker for Saturn 1b's and pre-apollo Saturns.
  7. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Absolutely! I'll be posting the .pdf here once I'm done, so feel free to test as well. The more the merrier.

I'll be curious to see how the build comes out. I've been doing so many test fits my recycle bin is about full by now... :roll:
  8. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Oooookay. Well, I got ambitious last night and did a quick beta build of the upper stages... not bad overall, but I found alot of areas that need minor modifications. :cry:

However, the angles came out spot on, so I'm pleased about that. :-D

I had to completely rethink how I was going to do the staging ring between the nosecone assembly and the fuel tank/engine assembly... I'm pretty sure I've got it where I want it. :roll:

I'm probably nit-picking more than I should for a beta, but this is my first attempt and I want it to be a decent build. Pouring over reference shots from www.apolloarchive.com until I see the SA series in my sleep...

Looking realistically like Friday for beta test release.
  9. ekuth

ekuth Guest

At last!

After much struggling, here it is: the official beta build of my Saturn I SA-5, one day early and just in time for the weekend.

However, the file service appears to not want to allow me to upload the .pdf, so anyone that's interested PM me their email address and I'll be happy to send it to you.

Happy building, everyone! Please, let me see some pics of the build, and since this is a beta, please give feedback. :grin:
  10. jparenti

jparenti Member

Unable to sleep (anticipation?) so I checked to see if I recieved the SA-5 beta and my first impression is that it will build into a beautiful model. (I'm even taking it to Staples today to use the high quality laser printer to print it, usually an honor reserved for the Fortezza shuttles. :) ) I'm really looking forward to showing this one off. Hopefully will have some pics by the end of the weekend! :-D
  11. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Thanks jparenti! I'm glad you like it so far. Of course, you haven't started the build yet... mwhahahhahahaha.

You're right, though, it's probably best printed on a laser on some good stock, what with all the obsessive details I put in there. Rivets! Rivets! Rivets! Arrrrrrrrgh!

I did print one set on my ink jet and another on the laser at work and yup, the laser print shows details the ink misses.

While you all are testing the beta, I'm working on the "detailing kit"... fuel lines, ect.... which will probably be best printed on regular weight paper, due to the small scale of some of these parts. Just too tough to roll cardstock that small. At least for my fat fingers, anyway.

Once we get it all hammered out, I'll revise the PDF to include the detail kit and add some pics or illustrations to the instruction file. (which is rather bare-bones text, I admit)

Thank you to all who requested the beta, I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your builds! :yep:
  12. speedless

speedless Member

Hi ekuth
    where is the .pdf?
    I love rockets,build most of the ones thats aviable from the net,
    and i think rockets are proberly the most suited object to model in paper.
    So i would really like to try yours!
    Jan
  13. ekuth

ekuth Guest

As I stated in post #9, the upload service absolutely seems to hate my files, so I cannot upload it to the forum. Would love to, but it's not behaving... :cry:

Send me a PM with your email and I'll be happy to send it to you, though! :)
  14. the mole

the mole Member

Hi Ekuth,

I had all day at work to look over the PDF of the Saturn SA-5. Nice job and a BIG thanks. I printed it out on a inkjet printer I was well pleased.

I will try to start on it this weekend. I'm a slow builder. If this one builds OK, I may try another one and convert it to fly on a D or C engine.

What the next design? Maybe an Apollo Saturn 1b. May be, could be, what you say????

Once again thanks.
  15. jparenti

jparenti Member

I've just finished all the tanks of the lower stage, and boy are my fingers tired. :) But it's coming together beautifully so far. I did an inkjet print for my own beta version, and I'll pick up the laser copy tomorrow. If there are details coming, they'll go on the better quality model.
    Should have the preliminary pics late tonight. Don't have my camera with me. :)
  16. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Attached Files:

17. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Attached Files:

18. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Saturn I SA-5

Designed by Christopher Davis
     All rights reserved

This model is to be used for personal use only. Other distribution is prohibited.

History of the Saturn I SA-5: (taken from www.wikipedia.org)

SA-5 was the first launch of the Block II, Saturn I rocket and was part of the Apollo Program.

The major changes that occurred on SA-5 were that for the first time the Saturn I would fly with two stage - the S-I first stage and the S-IV second stage. The second stage featured six engines burning liquid hydrogen. Although this design was meant to be tested several years earlier in the Centaur rocket design, in the end the first Centaur launch was only two months before SA-5. This rocket stage was delivered to the Cape by a modified B-377 aircraft, nicknamed the Pregnant Guppy.

Other major design changes included the enlargement of the fuel tanks on the first stage. For the first time the rocket would carry its planned 750,000 lb (340,000 kg) of propellant and would use eight upgraded engines producing a thrust each of 188,000 lbf (836 Kn). The first stage also featured for the first time eight fins for added stability during flight. But as with the earlier flight the rocket would still only carry a Jupiter-C nosecone instead of a boilerplate Apollo spacecraft.

Also the guidance and control computer on the rocket was positioned above the second stage. This was where it would be found on the Saturn V flights that would take astronauts to the moon. The Instrument Unit controlled the ascent of the rocket through the atmosphere, automatically compensating for any winds or loss of thrust during the ascent.

For the first time in the Apollo Program, this flight would be an orbital mission. This was possible because of the upgraded first stage and the addition of the second stage. It would enter into a highly elliptical orbit and reenter a couple of days later as its orbit decayed.

Flight

The first scheduled launch attempt was for January 27th, with all going well until 93% of the liquid oxygen (LOX) had been loaded into the first stage. At this time, the ground crews switched it from a fast fill to a replenish system. However the LOX in the tanks began to fall meaning that it was not being replenished. The cause was found to a flange (plate without an opening) in the line. This could not be removed easily and the launch had to be postponed for two days.

The second launch attempt had no such problems and lifted off into overcast skies just before noon local time. The rocket sent back 1,183 separate measurements to the ground during the flight while at the same time it was tracked by six telescopes. For the first 1000 metres the rocket was filmed by 13 cameras that looked for any pitch, yaw and roll movements.

The separation of the two rocket stages was filmed by eight cameras that themselves separated from the rocket to be recovered 800 km downrange in the Atlantic Ocean. The whole stage separation system worked perfectly with the retrorockets firing on the first stage to decelerate it and ullage rockets on the S-IV firing to settle its fuel to aft of the stage.

After an eight minute burn, the second stage entered into a 262 km by 785 km orbit. At 16,965 kg it was the largest satellite ever to go into orbit at that time. However the achievement of Earth orbit it turned out was not even an objective of the mission but just an added bonus. It did show to the American public that the United States had bridged the missile gap.

Assembly Instructions:

This model is intended to be printed on 110 weight, 8 ½” x 11” cardstock.

Print using the following PDF settings:

 Fit to Printer Margins
     Auto Rotate and Center
    DO NOT select Choose Paper Source by PDF page size

Jupiter-C Nosecone Assembly

1. Assemble NC-1 and NC-1a. Trim base as necessary near join.

2. Assemble NC-2 and NC-2a.

3. Assemble NC-3 and NC-3a.

4. Assemble NC-4 and NC-4a.

5. Cut out NC-5 and set aside.

6. Assemble NC-6 and NC-6a.

7. Cut out NC-7 and set aside.

8. Cut out NC-8(a-e), assemble and set aside.

9. Join parts NC-1 and NC-2, aligning seams.

10. Join parts NC-2 and NC-3, aligning seams.

11. Join parts NC-3 and NC-4, aligning seams.

12. Join parts NC-5 and NC-6, aligning seams.

13. Join parts NC-7 and NC-6, align edge carefully.

14. Join parts NC-8(a-e) to NC-7, placing each engine over the grey circles. Align the seams of parts NC-8(a-e) so that they are centered on the inside of the assembly.

15. Join parts NC-5 and NC-4, with the grey shaded area of NC-5 on the inside of part NC-4. Align seams.

S-I First Stage Assembly

1. Assemble TM-1 and TM-1a.

2. Assemble FT-1 (4x).

3. Assemble FT-2 (4x).

4. Join parts FT-1 and FT-2 to part TM-1, alternating black to white. Please note the bottom of parts FT-1 and FT-2 match the dividing line printed horizontally on part TM-1. Align carefully.

5. Join parts TA-1 to the bottom of the completed TM-1 assembly. Carefully align the curves of parts FT-1 and FT-2 to the curves on the outside of part TA-1.

6. Join parts TA-1a to the top of the completed TM-1 assembly. Carefully align the curves of parts FT-1 and FT-2 to the curves on the outside of part TA-1.

7. Join parts LC-1 to the bottom of the completed TM-1 assembly.

8. Join parts LC-1a to the top of the completed TM-1 assembly.

9. Join parts UC-1 to its tab, curving slightly.

10. Join parts UC-1 to LC-1a.

11. Join parts BW-1 and BW-1a.

12. Join parts BW-2 and BW-2a. Note the positions of the Roman Numerals
    before cutting piece out. It may help to print a duplicate of this page to allow later fin positioning.

13. Join parts BW-1 and BW-2, with part BW-1 on the inside of part BW-2. Align top edge carefully, just underneath triangular gluing tabs.

14. Join parts EP-1 to the bottom of completed BW assembly.

15. Join parts TS-1 to the top of completed BW assembly, carefully aligning parts TS-1. Overlap the smaller white end of TS-1 with the black end of TS-1, adjusting as necessary.

16. Join of the completed BW assembly to the bottom of the completed TM assembly, carefully aligning part TS-1 between the tank structures.

17. Join parts E-1 to their tabs, printed side out, forming an open cone. (4x)

18. Join parts E-2 to their tabs, printed side out, forming an open cone. (4x)

19. Join parts E-2 to the inner four grey circles on the printed side of EP-1. Align the seams of parts E-2 so that they are on the inside of the assembly. (4x)

20. Join parts E-1 to the outer four grey circles on the printed side of EP-1. Align the seams of parts E-1 so that they are on the inside of the assembly. (4x)

21. Fold side tabs of parts FA-1 using a valley fold. Fold parts FA-1 together using a mountain fold and glue tab at top of fin to the inside of opposite edge. Glue tabs at bottom of fin to each other, giving completed fin a slightly curved shape.

22. Repeat step 21 for parts FA-1a, FA-2, FA-2a, FA-3, FA-3a, FA-4 and parts FA-4a.

23. Join parts FA-1 through FA-4 to part BW-2 along the red lines, attaching each major fin (FA-1, FA-2, ect.) in the position noted on BW-2 in step 12. The position of each Roman Numeral matches the number (I, II, III, IIII) on each major fin (FA-1 = I, FA-2 = II, FA-3 = III, FA-4 = IIII).

24. Join parts FA-1a through FA-4a to part BW-2 along the red lines, attaching each minor fin (FA-1a, FA-2a, ect.) between each appropriate major fin. For example, part FA-1a is attached between parts FA-1 and FA-2.

25. Join parts AA-1a to each other, unprinted sides together.

26. Join parts AA-1a to parts AA-1.

27. Repeat steps 25 and 26 for parts AA-2 through AA-4.

28. Join parts AA-1 through parts AA-4 to the top of completed TM assembly, between the black and white fuel tanks. Use included pictures for reference.

29. Join parts RFS-1 and RFS-1a.

30. Join parts RFSW-1 to the outside of part RFS-1, aligning carefully just under the edge of the dark area of part RFSW-1.

31. Join parts TH-1 to the inside bottom of the completed RFSW/FRS assembly, printed side up.

32. Carefully fold parts IB-1, alternating valley and mountain folds, and join to the printed side of parts GA-1a. Form I-Beams between the spokes of GA-1a, starting from the middle of the wheel.

33. Join parts IB-2 to the outside edge of parts GA-1a, printed side in. Trim as necessary to join.

34. Join parts GA-1 printed side up, to the completed GA-1a assembly.

35. Join parts RF-1 and RF-1a.

36. Join the completed GA I-Beam assembly to the inside of completed RFSW/FRS assembly, carefully aligning with the bottom edge of the dark area on the outside of the RFSW/FRS assembly.

37. Join parts RF-1 to the completed RFSW/FRS assembly. There should be a small overlap of part RF-1. This is intentional.

38. Join the completed RF-1/RFSW/FRS assembly to the top of the completed TM assembly.

Interstage Assembly

1. Join parts IS-1 and IS-1a.

2. Join parts IS-2 to the inside of parts IS-1, printed side of IS-2 facing in. Carefully align the bottom edges of both parts.

Congratulations! You’ve finished construction!

Final Assembly

DO NOT GLUE!

1. Join the Interstage Assembly to the Thrust Assembly
    2. Join the Nosecone Assembly to the Interstage Assembly.
    3. Admire!
    4. Force your friends to admire!
    5. Admire some more!
  19. jparenti

jparenti Member

Having a little difficulty with parts GA, IB, and attached pieces. Mostly I'm just having trouble visualizing the end product. Got any pictures of the final assembly?
    Specifically, this is the part of the instructions where I get lost:

31. Join parts TH-1 to the inside bottom of the completed RFSW/FRS assembly, printed side up.

32. Carefully fold parts IB-1, alternating valley and mountain folds, and join to the printed side of parts GA-1a. Form I-Beams between the spokes of GA-1a, starting from the middle of the wheel.

33. Join parts IB-2 to the outside edge of parts GA-1a, printed side in. Trim as necessary to join.

34. Join parts GA-1 printed side up, to the completed GA-1a assembly.

35. Join parts RF-1 and RF-1a.

36. Join parts RF-1 to the completed RFSW/FRS assembly. There should be a small overlap of part RF-1. This is intentional.

37. Join the completed GA I-Beam assembly to the inside of completed RFSW/FRS assembly, carefully aligning with the bottom edge of the dark area on the outside of the RFSW/FRS assembly.

38. Join the completed RF-1/RFSW/FRS assembly to the top of the completed TM assembly.
  20. ekuth

ekuth Guest

LOL. I'm not surprised... okay, basically what you're doing is constructing the I-beams inside of the "wheel".

View attachment 2849

I made a quick sketch here of the basic idea. You fold the IB-1's like an accordian, scoring the top tabs (the top of the I-beam) to glue on GA-1 and GA-1a before folding. Fold to form the "K" shape. Repeat for the other side, and glue both to GA-1 and GA-1a.

And actually, I just caught something.

step 36 and 37 are reversed. Do # 37 first.

I corrected that in the instructions here *sheepish grin*

What you're doing in 36 is joining the inside of the "collar" to the serrated edge of the RFSW/FRS ring.

Does that help? :confused:

Attached Files: