Saturn 5 build

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Cool progress! Yesterday I was thinking about the F1 engines a lot. I heard that NASA had to re-build the first and second stages of the Saturn V when they wanted to send men to the Moon again (and Mars) because there is nothing more powerful available. In other words, a 50 year old design which is still unsurpassed today. Isn't that incredible? :)

lyter1958

Esteemed Member
Cool progress! Yesterday I was thinking about the F1 engines a lot. I heard that NASA had to re-build the first and second stages of the Saturn V when they wanted to send men to the Moon again (and Mars) because there is nothing more powerful available. In other words, a 50 year old design which is still unsurpassed today. Isn't that incredible? :)
and they should. those engines are MONSTERS. just watching the old films of the launch, you can almost feel the power of them.

lyter1958

Esteemed Member
all J2's done except for 1 small part i gotta get ( a 3mm bead). trust me, i looked through out the house but no luck.

Attachments

• sat work 001.jpg
    sat work 001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • sat work 002.jpg
    sat work 002.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • sat work 006.jpg
    sat work 006.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • sat work 007.jpg
    sat work 007.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • sat work 009.jpg
    sat work 009.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

lyter1958

Esteemed Member
this is the interstage. i had to cut out 32 of those little rib pieces and my fingers are sore now. the walls on this part are 3 pages thick. just about got it finished today, and i'll have pic's in a day or 2 ..
enjoy

Attachments

• sat work 014.jpg
    sat work 014.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • sat work 015.jpg
    sat work 015.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • sat work 016.jpg
    sat work 016.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • sat work 018.jpg
    sat work 018.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • sat work 019.jpg
    sat work 019.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • sat work 020.jpg
    sat work 020.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator

That is a bit o a simplification. What NASA did was locate an unused, new in the box one, then 3D printed a new one, and fired it. That, is a much bigger feat. The original ones were welded together by hand, the new ones are very smooth, and much stronger. For Solar exploration, a rocket engine that can power up, shut off, and start again is essential. :)

Link = http://3dprint.com/95914/nasa-3d-print-f1-rocket-engine/

lyter1958

Esteemed Member
ok guys, interstage is complete. finished the 4 thrusters and placed it on the 1st stage. now onto stage 2

Attachments

• s5 work 002.jpg
    s5 work 002.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • s5 work 004.jpg
    s5 work 004.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • s5 work 005.jpg
    s5 work 005.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • s5 work 006.jpg
    s5 work 006.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • s5 work 007.jpg
    s5 work 007.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • s5 work 008.jpg
    s5 work 008.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • s5 work 009.jpg
    s5 work 009.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • s5 work 011.jpg
    s5 work 011.jpg
  • s5 work 014.jpg
    s5 work 014.jpg
  • s5 work 015.jpg
    s5 work 015.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This is really coming together nicely. You could easily use this as a teaching aid.

lyter1958

Esteemed Member
Thanks Rhaven, i've thought of that. maybe even giving it to the local school for the science classes. don't know yet but i'll think of something
thanks Revell-Fan, it is coming together fast, the directions are easy to follow. the most time consuming is pre scoring everything ( through trial and error) and cutting the parts out. i get at least 3 to 3 1/2 hours a day to "play". by then these old hands are getting tired.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
It's coming out excellently. I attached a picture below which shows the difference between the hand made combustion chamber, and the 3D printed unit. It is quite astonishing. :)

Original Vs. 3D printed enginet.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
:cool:

Do you know what that means? If there are any new paper models of the future new planetary space rockets, they will be much easier to build because they will need fewer parts. It is good to see that the designers have a soft spot for us modelers and save us much building time! :D ;)