Sandhouse

Racharg

Oct 24, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
After tackling the water tower, I figured a sandhouse would complement it nicely. And the makings of an engine service facility begins :) Thanks Mat for the inspiration!

Attachments

• sandhouse01.jpg
    sandhouse01.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 332

Racharg

Oct 24, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Assembly using some magnets on tin as a jig. Got the magnets on the tin at the dollar store for...well...a dollar fifteen (after the governments cut)

Attachments

• sandhouse02.jpg
    sandhouse02.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 329

Racharg

Oct 24, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
With the roof added...would also make a good utility shed I guess but I've still got the sand "coral" and the "thingy" that holds the sand up top. Can anyone tell me the proper names for the various sand house parts and how they get the sand up there?

Attachments

• sandhouse03.jpg
    sandhouse03.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 322

Racharg

Oct 24, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Some more progress

Finally got around to gluing everything and a preliminary attempt at weathering cardboard to look like wood and tin...

Attachments

• sandhouse-014.jpg
    sandhouse-014.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 187

Racharg

Oct 24, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The retaining wall how to

Belg, I used Casey Feedwater's tutorial "Stonewallin'" in the Academy as the basis for the retaining wall and portal. The only difference is that I made cardboard shapes of the wall & portal, sealed them with masking tape and then applied the plaster of of the layout. Found it pretty easy to carve (especially since they aren't attached to the layout yet) but very tedious. Well worth it in the end though for the look it achieves. How I do love this forum though, so many ideas, so little time!

Attachments

• portal2.jpg
    portal2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 72