Sanchem No-Ox-ID for rails??

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
Hi all after hunting around i found the name of the corrosion preventer, thanks Gary S.!!

It was in this thread: http://forum.zealot.com/t151759/
that the name of the stuff i was looking for was mentioned!! NO-OX!!!

Has anyone used this to "seal" their rails? If so .. any pointers/gotchya's?

I think the person that started this thread can benifit from this http://forum.zealot.com/t154544/ info too :).

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi...If you're using nickel silver track, using this, or any other type of anti-oxidizing product won't help your performance. NS track oxidizes, just like any other metal, but NS oxide is electrically conductive, unlike those of brass or steel, so you don't loose performance due to oxidation. Dust & other kinds of grime will still hinder performance so you would still have to contend with those.

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
Hi...If you're using nickel silver track, using this, or any other type of anti-oxidizing product won't help your performance. NS track oxidizes, just like any other metal, but NS oxide is electrically conductive, unlike those of brass or steel, so you don't loose performance due to oxidation. Dust & other kinds of grime will still hinder performance so you would still have to contend with those.

I have a good bit of steel in my kid's layout, it's really a bear to keep up w/ the cleaning. Would it work well on steel?

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005

Actually, NO-OX is somewhat effective against oxidation on nickel silver rail. Nickel silver oxide, while somewhat conductive, is not nearly as conductive as the metal itself. So removing the oxide does help performance some. But as steamhead points out, dirt and grime are often bigger issues than oxidation, especially with nickel silver. Finally, nickel silver oxidizes at a much slower rate than brass in the same climate.

No-Ox was used big time in the era of brass rail track in an effort to keep trains running. Don't know how well it works (or doesn't work) on steel rail. The easiest and most fun way to keep your track clean is to run your trains frequently. The polishing action of metal wheels on metal rail breaks down any oxide that forms. The heavier the trains, the greater the polishing action. On my first HO layout (brass Atlas track), running trains 2-3 times a week for at least 10 laps each time would keep the stalls away, even in humid Northern Virginia with no air conditioning in the summer. But if I went a week without running trains, I would have to clean the track before they would run.

my thoughts, your choices