Salvage 1 Vulture find!

johnmiic

Hi! I have the print-out of this rocket from the very enjoyable Salvage 1 TV series but never could figure out where I got it from. I did some searching on the web and actually found it's still available from the original site - tho the site is now defunct. The plans were made by Patrick York,(?) At least that's the name in the pdf's. This link still works and anyone can get the plans and there are also pics of a never made model rocket as well as CGI pics of the rocket.

The model is really great.

geocities.ws/ghl3/PaperVulturePlans.zip

The site is still up and there's more info on the model here:

http://www.oocities.org/ghl3/salpapervulture.html

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is an interesting find! Thank you for sharing the link with us! :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I remember the model. Not the series though. In that time, all I did was work and ride my motorcycles. Too bad they don't show the series on the SyFy channel, for the hell of it. I remember this model too. There are many pictures of the completed model. Below are some pictures and info on it, also a link that explains the history of the series. Great find!!

Link to History: https://friday87central.wordpress.com/category/abc/salvage-1/

Salvage3.jpg salvageone-model2.jpg vulture1.jpg

johnmiic

Thanks folks! There are a couple of 2-part episodes on DVD you can buy them on Amazon: Hard Water and Golden Orbit. They are made "on demand" and the disks might not be compatible with all computers.

I was trying to figure out where I downloaded it from and finally did search and found the site. Why has the creator of this model not joined up here? It seems to me he would fit right in. I also tracked down the Starlog Poster Magazine on eBay which has the only official blue-prints I know of.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I wish we could host it for him, it would always remain his.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Could you imagine what would happen to those tires on re-entry!! Absolute Zero to flaming hot = pure carbon dust. Ahhh, the age of innocence. ;)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Could you imagine what would happen to those tires on re-entry!! Absolute Zero to flaming hot = pure carbon dust. Ahhh, the age of innocence. ;)
Did you read about the ship construction..chunks of this and that..and an old cement truck!! Fabulous!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Seems like it would have worked better in water, and where was Barney Fife!

paper hollywood

As I vaguely recall from the show, the premise of this craft was that it took off and landed slowly, thus avoiding issues like extreme heat during reentry. Of course, that creates the need for vast amounts of energy to leave the atmosphere and slow landing, but, hey, it's science fiction. If Capt. Janeway can land Voyager softly, I think Andy can land Vulture 1 similarly.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Well, if you can create warp fields, you can take off and land softly. It's done everyday on Earth. It's done with Balloons. They are filled with Hydrogen, and have another balloon that is not as buoyant. This non buoyant (somewhat buoyant to get up there, just not enough to go out of the atmosphere) acts as an anchor, and the instruments do all kinds of things, like gran samples of air to see how much bacteria is up there, and there is, and seeds, pollen, even Spiders!! The Hydrogen would just go out to space if not tethered. When done, a valve releases Hydrogen and the whole apparatus comes down. No heat at all, cold actually. The "UFO's" the pilots report seeing way up high could be composite high altitude dirigibles which would not show up on radar, and their tensile strength would restrain the expansion of gases. I'm sure their is stuff floating up there that nobody but those who should know are aware of. I have friends who are airline pilots, and they all have seen these, but they are high up and they cannot tell how big these things are, no point of reference, nor how far away, they don't show up on radar. It wold be a great way to launch a small space craft, such as the small XB37, which would only need very little to obtain an orbital speed and then do whatever it does up there. Search Operation high altitude airships military -pinterest. ;)

Last edited: