Saab J35 Draken Dragon Knights

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Ok fellas here we go again...

This should be a short build as it's my second Stalhart J35. I found a pack of unopened 8 1/2 X 11" 190gsm semi-gloss photo paper so....

20130521_175155.jpg

here are the parts printed out. Next step for me will be to clear coat the parts, then start cutting out, but I go back to work in the morning so it will only be built during time off.

shika

This is great Micah, I'll looking forward to see your great work. ^ ^
For me I built this plane in 1/144 scale (A little bigger).
But the Knight logo seems to be fade.

Anyway, I just got the plastic kit 1/144 [PitRoad] in lower price last month.
That is one of the next projects in my long list :p

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
This should be really sweet, especially with you building technique and the gloss paper! :)

micahrogers

Staff member
this is a test to see if I can sustain two projects at once, I just dug an old AMT/Ertl 1/6th scale Emperor Palpatine Vinyl kit out of a fire sale... so I have to reform the vinyl body and make a new walking staff...

micahrogers

Staff member
Update for today

some building finally on the Draken, I started cutting out and building as I go. I don't have the space or storage to pre cut my model pieces.

The front fuselage and front wing box
20130526_151937.jpg

and the burner can
20130526_160621.jpg
20130526_160637.jpg

And the fuselage built up with wing boxes installed
20130526_173516.jpg
20130526_173529.jpg

So I'll try and find time to do more today, but I am scheduled to work tomorrow.

TTFN

micahrogers

Staff member
Thanks Rogerio, I am pretty sure my printer got the colors wrong as it's more of a green then black :-( so far I don't really like the photo paper.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Most people don't use photo paper because it is hard to glue together. You almost better off just painting it on matte paper, then clear coating it, and using the existing colors as a template to spray paint it, if you really want the gloss. In reality, these planes to not gloss like that. My years working at the airport has show most planes to be sun baked flat in color. :)

micahrogers

Staff member
Most people don't use photo paper because it is hard to glue together. You almost better off just painting it on matte paper, then clear coating it, and using the existing colors as a template to spray paint it, if you really want the gloss. In reality, these planes to not gloss like that. My years working at the airport has show most planes to be sun baked flat in color. :)
I've been using Aleen's Quick Grab glue and so far gluing hasn't been an issue it's like the paper is de-laminating at places? maybe just bad paper?

micahrogers

Staff member
a little model work on my day off. I have got the wings done, I'm not happyu with the joint between the wingroot and fuselage though.

the left and right wings
20130528_145155.jpg

and them both on the fuselage
20130528_164350.jpg

there is a noticeable gap along the join line. I will try to massage this closed and glue it.

more latter.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I believe de-laminating is another issue. I have seen really nice models made but these issues usually relegate that paper being used for very flat parts. The plane looks good so, it looks like your all set. :)

micahrogers

Staff member
Revenge of the Newborn...

My grandson's mother gives the baby a bath no prob brings him out soaking wet and sits down at my hobby table to dry him and....

all the paper on my workbench was drenched last night. So unfortunatle this Saab is a total loss.

Sooo... on to my next project.

Rogerio Silva

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggggggh!!!!!!!!!

Oh, boy, what a pitty! Well, at least it was not intentional... :cry: And you survived it! sign1

HaWSche

Hi Micah,
so sad to hear your Draken was written off. On the other hand that's one museum exhibit less for my fellow austrian tax payers to support ;-). Remember we still got some Saab 105 OE on interceptor duties when the Typhoons are down w/o spare parts ...
Regards from LOWG,
Werner