SA-2 Alpha version

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by sdk2knbk, Jan 25, 2007.

1. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

There's been so much discussion about the SA-2 in the 1/120 B-52 thread that I decided to dust off the one I started a while back. The fin locations on the nose are missing, and there's no color or real detail yet, but I thought someone might like to try building one. The scale is about 1/48 (actually 1/47.7, but close enough for me:) ) Let me know what you think. Remember, it's an alpha, no real instructions yet, and still needs some work.

Scott K.

Attached Files:

2. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

I did a quick build last night and found a couple of problems. The biggest is the nose cone. I must have fed the wrong base diameter into Cone because it's way too big. On the test build, I just wrapped it tighter nad trimmed some of the excess. Besides the locating marks being missing for the vanes on the nose, I found that they're too small ( for me, at least) to cut out and fold. So I'll change them to a single side outline, folded over on a square, then cut out. The other mistakes are just build errors. The main body was glued together too tightly at the bottom, so doesn't fit the adapter below it. I also forgot to add the adapter bulkhead at it's bottom before I glued it to the booster. The booster cap needed to be trimmed inside the line, as it didn't fit inside properly. Otherwise it looks promising to me so far. Revised pdf to follow later.

Scott K.

Attached Files:

3. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Looks like a winner!
  4. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Amen to that!

Looks good!

Care to have a crack at the transport trailer for this bird? :)
  5. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

Beat me to it

Scott! you beat me! I had also done an SA-2 a couple of years back but let it languish when I couldn't find decent drawings of the launcher. My model looks awefully similar to yours (also 1:48 scale) and it is in about the same state of design.

-Jim G

View attachment 6544

View attachment 6545

Attached Files:

6. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Oh, No! Competition!:) Jim, that's amazing, how similar our layouts are. I have the same problem with the launcher or trailer. Unless I can find a decent drawing, I was planning on "faking it", based on whatever pictures I can find. I don't call my models "Eyeball Engineered" for nothing! In the case of the missile, though, I do have a very good drawing to work from. rmks200 and fishcarver, thanks!

Scott K.
  7. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Version 1.1. The mistakes I found last night have been fixed, but I haven't added any instructions yet.

Scott K.

Attached Files:

8. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Thanks Scott!
  9. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

10. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

11. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

V1.2 and V2.0

Two more, an added detail to the thrust structure, and a 1/35 scale version. Anyone tried to build one yet? Post a pic here if/when you do.

Scott K.

Attached Files: