S scale f unit

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Greg Elems, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

S Helper Service has released this beauty. This isn't your dad's American Flyer, that's for sure.

Greg Elems

Attached Files:

2. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hi Greg:
    I've got SHS's SW1200. It's a beauty! Also have a hopper too. And the REALLY neat thing is they run as good as they look. Have you checked out American Models? You should see their Hudson! I have three of their hoppers, two covered and one not and they are well done as well.

The difference between MY American flyer and the above is, the new stuff has wonderful detail, and the old stuff could take the abuse i heaped on it as a child, and i could still sell most of it as being in good to excellent condition. I think the SHS would be in a box in pieces after my childhood!

Are you into Flyer?

Regards,
    Ted
    The Lone Flyer
  3. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Hi Ted,

It was AM FP-7's that got me interested in S. AF didn't have a good looking F unit, so I went with Lionel growing up. I do agree that AM and SHS won't take the abuse the flyer and Lionel did. But then, these are aimed at the grown ups anyway. I have seen the AM pacific, very nice engine. I am hoping they bring the hudson out in a non streamlined version. I would get one of those in a heart beat, even if it said Santa Fe on the tender. Santa Fe did have hudsons that were kind of close to the NYC. SHS is supposed to have a 2-8-0 coming out this fall or winter. I'm keeping an eye on that too. Problem is, they don't mix well with my SD60's:rolleyes: or GP35's. The latest catalog list from K-Line lists S guage box cars and tank cars. Those maybe as rugged as the old flyer. I have a couple of flyer hoppers and gondolas that are running on AM scale trucks with Kadees. Other than that, I don't venture towards AF. This unit is AM's FA-2 and is waiting for SP&S lettering.

Cheers,
    Greg Elems

Attached Files:

4. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Greg:
    Sounds like you're more into the scale side of "S". Have you found Des Plains Hobbies yet? I purchased a PSR kit for a 40-foot boxcar from them and it's got great detail. MMT Model Railroad, mmttrains@aol.com also has a nice selection of detailed equipment. Their 3 unit "TANKTRAIN" set is great looking. Is the "trainmaster" that AM came out with in your era? Joes Train Repair had one of those at the last show i was at and we ran it around the layout a few times. Nice piece of equipment and the detail was great.
    Regards,
    Ted
  5. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Ted,

Thanks for the MMT link. I haven't seen them before. Do they have a web page?

I knew about Des Plains Hobbies, thanks for mentioning them.

The AM Trainmaster is just in my era, and I will stretch it using them outside the SF bay area. If I can have a black widow F3, why not the FM. I expect they run as nice as the SD60's from AM. Always glad to hear a report on that sort of thing. I have a dozen of the PRS kits, ACF center flow hoppers, 50' box cars and the 40' box cars. Now to assemble them.

Cheers,
    Greg Elems
  6. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Don't think MMT has a web page. They do have a catalog. Drop 'em an email and request one.

Ted
  7. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Hi Ted, I will zip an e mail to MMT an see about a catalog. I have the SHS F-3 in WP passenger paint. Again a very nice set of units. I prefer the scale to the hi-rail or tin-plate. I am leaning towards NCE for my DCC system. Two other layouts close by use that system and they have voiced an interest in operating my layout when it is up and running.

Greg

Attached Files:

8. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hi Greg:
    Nice F-3! One of our club members has it in Southern livery. Nice set. I don't know anything about the new control systems. I'm an AC hi-railer, i guess. The smell of ozone is as real as coal smoke in my book! I mix AF with Lemax crossings and scale building kits. Getting ready to assemble my first kits in 33 years. Got crossing tower, handcar and section car kits from Banta modelworks for Christmas. Should be fun. I'm trying to add some animation to the tower. Can't help myself, i love to push buttons and make stuff happen on the layout.

Sounds like a good idea to go with what the "neighbors" are using, or at least be compatable. That way y'all can swap trains and do "inter-rail" shipping. Check out the thread here on the gauge on "The Box" to see just how far you can connect separate railways.

Glad to have another S-Gauger here on the board. Look forward to "speaking" with you. This is a great bunch here, and the insertion of pictures into the discussions allows a lot of good communication to occur.

Have fun,
    Ted
  9. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

[​IMG]
    I have made some progress on the F-7's. The freight pilot has replaced the passenger pilot. The front door with the headlight has been replaced with a new door that has no headlight. The Kadee couplers have been installed and the code 110 wheel sets replaced the hi-rail wheels with the larger flanges. Now to start adding the WP style grab irons and mu connections.

Greg
  10. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

Good job Greg!

can you say "S"uper nice !!
  11. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Thanks Joe,

SHS provided all the parts, to customize the F's. They do that with all their undecorated engines. Sure makes it easy for the conversion.

Greg