S scale buildings

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Brandon Miller, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller New Member

I am new to the forum. I do a lot of 1/64 diecast customs and want to display them. Where are some good sites for getting S scale buildings and accessories?
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Well, I can welcome you to the forum, Brandon but I can't help you much for S Gauge accessories. Hopefully someone more knowedgeable than e will be able to help out though. :wave:
  3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

im not sure i ever seen S buildings, buy O scale would be close i think.
  4. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

5. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

O scale isn't close to S scale. O scale items are 33% oversize for S scale.

There are numerous S scale structure manufacturers. Many of which can be found listed here in the Scenery Unlimited catalog. It is the "Walthers Big Book" for S scale.
  6. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

A lot of the Bachmann Plasticville buildings are closer to S than O scale. The question is whether they have the level of detail you're looking for. But if they'll do the job for you, the nice thing about them is that they're inexpensive and readily available, both new and used.
  7. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Besides the Bachmann Plasticville some of the MTH buildings are really closer to S. You would need to measure the doors and compare your vehicles to them to be sure. Also MTH plastic people are on the small side for O and have been used in S.

Greg
  8. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Look inside the front cover of Model Railroader magazine. there is usually a full page S scale advertisement each month. Everything from rolling stock to structures.
  9. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

the way i understood it, (and im not into S mind you) that S and O was pretty much the same, just the gauge of the track is differant. i was looking at an S gauge amirican flyer boxcar at a train show last weekend, i compared it to an O gauge postwar lionel boxcar that was sitting there, looked the same, just S had nerrower track

10. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i guess O and S could be like N and Z... alot of people use N scale accessories on there Z scale
  11. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Ozzy: Not true. O gauge is roughly 1/4 inch equals 1 foot. S gauge is roughly 3/16 of an inch equals one foot. As for comparing Lionel and American Flyer; remember that American Flyer is reasonably close to scale. A lot of Lionel stuff is shortened for convienience of operation and just isn't scale stuff.
  12. Cannonball

So that's a difference of what? 1/16th???
    Does it really matter??? :confused:
  13. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

It matters a great deal. Since the OP is looking for S scale items, which are 3/16" to the foot, and O scale is 1/4" to the foot, the difference is 1/4 divided by 3/16 or 1.33. That is a huge difference. Implying that there is little difference is akin to saying that a six foot individual is about the same height as someone who is eight foot. Thre ratios of six foot to eight foot are the same as those of S scale to O scale.
  14. b28_82

b28_82 Member

i would say the difference is about the same as putting micromachines or any other 1:144th vehicle right next to an N scale train. Or a Matchbox car 1:64 next to an HO train. either way its close but just doesn't look quite right.
  15. Cannonball

I guess I'm just different then.
    A matchbox car on an HO layout would equal close enough for me.
  16. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

:) i'm with you CB.

I think your best bet is plasticville though. it is 100% S scale compared to MTH buildings
  17. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

We've gotten pretty far away from the original question. But a lot of O27 cars are 1:64 scale or close to it. Which is why Ozzy can hold an O27 gondola up to an American Flyer gondola and they look the same. True O scale is 1:48 though, which is quite a bit bigger. Hold an American Models S scale gondola up to a Weaver O scale gondola and you'll see a huge difference.

But Cannonball brings up another point: Some diecast cars that are marked "1:64" on the package are actually smaller than that, so you might want to compare your vehicles to an HO scale (1:87) building. UK OO scale (1:76, I think...) would also be a good match for some diecast vehicles, so if you happen to be in the UK... But at any rate, if the scales are too far off, you can sometimes get away with it by playing games with positioning. Position an undersized building a little further back to give an illusion of distance, or position the vehicle away from the elements of an oversized building that might give away that the car is undersized. It's as much an art as a science.

A lot of the so-called "traditional" O and S scale hobbyists don't pay much attention to scale. If it looks OK, they go with it. Which is fine; up until the early '90s Lionel played really fast and loose with scale. To a certain extent so did American Flyer, although more with its accessories than with its trains. The emphasis on scale is a relatively recent development, but it certainly has its adherents too. In other scales, there's always been a lot more emphasis on proper proportions, since HO and N scale trains have their roots as models, not as toys.
  18. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

I depends what you are trying to accomplish. Scale is about maintaining a constant ratio among the various items on a layout or diorama. If you really want to get into scale vs somewhat scale, talk to some of the folks who do Proto 48 modeling. They don't even like the O scale two rail track because it measures out to 5 scale feet instead of 4 feet 8 and 1/2 inches. Anyway, sorry about getting off topic Brandon. There are lots of S scale structures around and welcome to The Gauge. There is even a S guage magazine, called of all things, The S Gaugian. Hope we didn't scare you away.
  19. Cannonball

Ditto.

We don't bite hard.
    I promise. :D
  20. Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller New Member

I just wanted a good source for S scale buildings. I'm not so concerned about the trains.