Hi after the kind coments on my first post i thought i would post some pictures of my latest model. I just managed to finish it for my local transport show in May. I had done 5 card model locos and wanted to try something different. I like a challenge so i decided to see if i could make a rusty loco. There where many in a scrapyard at Barry Island Wales after the end of steam in the uk. Allot of which have now been restored. I hadn't got a clue how to go about making the rust effect or whether it would work on a cardboard loco. I had never seen it done anywhere. I tried many different experimental ways. I also tried the kits you can buy but you get very little and on a model this size it would have been far too expensive. After many tries i used this method. First i purchased some scouring pads (wire wool). I placed them in a dish in my greenhouse for a bit of heat. I then sprayed them twice a day with salt water for about a month. This reduced them to a rust powder. I then mixed this powder with some matt varnish and painted it on the part to be rusted. Two coats of this then left to dry for 24 hours between each coat. Then sanded the coated parts with fine sandpaper. I think it turned out ok and at a relatively small cost. it was a bit messy and time consuming though. I would think this method could be used on any card model. The parts do need to be undercoated first. The model is the same scale as my others at 20 to 1 and measures about 3 foot (915mm) long. It is built from scratch using scale dawings and photos and took about a year to finish.