Rural crossing...

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
not too far from Chippawa Creek.
This is a reshoot of a picture posted earlier.
Train_Brain_001.jpg

Wayne

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
DW, What's the radius of that track?

I'm trying to get an idea of what min mainline radius to use for my new layout. I would like to use 30", which is really overkill for my small locos, but who knows what large loco may race my future rails.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I'm not really sure what the radius is: this area is part of a curve around one end of part of the layout room. The room is 8' wide at this end, with about 8" or 9" lost on either side for background scenery. Chippawa Creek bridge, which is mostly straight, is in the middle part of the curve, so the radius is probably about 34", although is may be a little less. Sorry that I can't be more specific, but I had a bunch of curves cut out of plywood, and I just picked the ones that fit the best. Minimum mainline radius is 30", and it's not at this curve.

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
doctorwayne, that picture is nothing less than just slap OUTSTANDING!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: CRIPES YOU KNOW HOW TO MODEL!!!:thumb: i think your work looks VERY REAL. YOUR attention to detail is impeccable:thumb:. i am anxiously awaiting MORE pics of YOUR work:D. THANK YOU!, for posting the GREAT pic! -UP SD40-2

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
doctorwayne said:
I'm not really sure what the radius is: this area is part of a curve around one end of part of the layout room. The room is 8' wide at this end, with about 8" or 9" lost on either side for background scenery. Chippawa Creek bridge, which is mostly straight, is in the middle part of the curve, so the radius is probably about 34", although is may be a little less. Sorry that I can't be more specific, but I had a bunch of curves cut out of plywood, and I just picked the ones that fit the best. Minimum mainline radius is 30", and it's not at this curve.

Wayne

Thanks.

I used to model narrow guage and my perspective of sharp, conventional and broad is kinda tweeked.

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Your modeling and photos are outstanding. They belong to the best I’ve ever seen. Keep on posting pics, they inspire me to get better, because you show what can be done.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks for the kind words, folks. The trees, bushes and ground all get multiple applications of ground foam, depending either on the effect I want to achieve, or on how many applications it takes before it looks "right" to me.:D

Here's a shot taken a little farther on, on the bridge over Chippawa Creek. The caboose has just passed the crossing shown in the first picture. This photo is a joint effort between cn nutbar and myself: his locos, my caboose, his camera, my layout. I believe that it was my finger making the exposure.
2005_t13.jpg

Wayne