Running analog loco with Digitrax Empire Builder

cpr_boy

Jul 18, 2004
Edmonton, AB. CA
I got a used Empire Builder with a DT100 controller on ebay. I set it up on a test piece of sectional track according to the instructions/manual that came with the system.

I'm having problems running an analog locomotive using the address "00". The locomotive sits there buzzing away on the track. I can't seem to dial up the speed control using address 00, but with other addresses I can. I followed the set up instructions on how to run an analog loco but nothing seems to work.

I just want to know if I have to do something else to run a non-DCC locomotive. Should I just get a decoder put in and then test it then?

Since the locomotive was buzzing on the track, and all the lights on the booster were on, I assume the system is working. I hope I didn't get a ebay-dud!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Daryl

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Daryl,

Eventually, you should get a decoder and run it "digitally". Running non-decoder equipped engines is very hard on the motor of said engine, and it will take a toll in the long run. However, you should be able to do it for the short term.

On my Digitrax Zephyr, I just call up address 00. As Sean noted above, there my be some restriction on how you can use the Empire Builder - when in doubt, check the manual! ;)

Andrew

cpr_boy

Jul 18, 2004
Edmonton, AB. CA
Thank you everyone. I got it to work now. Apparently address 00 was in consist mode and I reset the command station to the factory setting. This seemed to work.

I do plan on running loco's with decoders. I was just testing to see if the system was working since I bought it used. The digitrax user group on Yahoo was very helpful

Cheers
Daryl