RTS program?

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
I'm trying to start planning my next layout in HO scale somewhere into the distant future and have seen this program(?) mentioned several times and everyone says the price is great which leads me to believe it must be free, but where do I get it? Also I got a book called 18 tailor-made model railroad track plans by John Armstrong. I'm trying to get a handle on the nomenclature in the book and how the trackplans relates to the schematic and profile, I don't get how a runaround layout looks in this format. It would appear that I need some expert guidance.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
book

Belg:
I'll see what I can find in the book. You might see if your library has a copy of his "Creative Layout Design" (full title starts something like "The Wit,...") It has a lot more writing and explanation in it; I think "Tailor Made Track Plans" is an extension of it.
The schematic usually takes the mainline and lays it flat out and then shows the major junctions and branches. Proportions are not kept. If a track crosses itself, you see two crossings, usually in opposite directions. John always labels the stations on all three plans so you can match them.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Thanks guys I got myself a copy of the rts program and will give it a try once I read the manual and do the tutorial.

David I found several other titles by John in my library data base none with the title you described.Here's the ones they have listed,

Armstrong, John H. 20 custom designed track plans

Armstrong, John H. The model railroad track plan book

Armstrong, John H. Track planning for realistic operation

Do you think it is one of these? Pat