RSS feed - did you know?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by cgutzmer, Sep 13, 2007.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Did you know we have an RSS feed here? It is set for the entire forums (all hobbies) but I know there is a way to limit it to just sections (Like cardmodels only) I just dont understand it well enough. If anyone would like to post a little how to on how to use RSS I would appreciate it :)
    Thanks
    Chris
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

The following is located in our FAQ.

Where can I find the RSS feed? The administrator may have enabled RSS syndication, this allows you to view newly created threads in guest viewable forums without visiting the board.
    The feeds are currently provided in two formats, RSS and RSS v2. The differences are as follows:To add this to MyYahoo click here.
    The forums to which this applies can also be limited to specific guest viewable forums by adding another parameter to the URL containing the forumids as follows:
    http://forum.zealot.com/external.php?type=rss2&forumids=123

If you would like the content to be generated for multiple forums you can separate the forumids by commas.

I hoped that helped you some.:mrgreen:

Russell
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Actually no, it doesnt help a bit :p

I found that but I cant figure out how to get the modifications into a feed. Also it doesnt seem like our naming conentions follow that format exactly. I was kinda hoping for someone to give an example they have working and how they go it going.

Oh, and firefox seems to work quite differently from IE with RSS feeds.... I installed wizrss at home for firefox and thats what I have been trying to figure out. At work i have IE and not even sure if I can do RSS on ie5.... yet....
    Chris
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thanks Rick! I hate it when work limits my fun ;)
  5. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

Thanks for the tips on limiting posts. I didn't mind the trains, they are quite good fun, and my son likes'em, but the slot cars, gold and football cars are getting a bit too much. I'm starting to skip messages just because of the increasing volume of . . . uninteresting stuff (to me anyways). If forum id 123 is all of card modelling, whats the id for the trains? I might start a seperate list for them.
  6. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

Sorry, me again! I found the id for card modelling (7). It shows up when you roll over the forum name as the link ( http; . . . /f7/). Model trains is 6, rc 8 etc.
    I tried to create a new list in my rss reader (Feedreader) for the trains i.e. forumids=7 and refreshed . . . nothing happened! It should have filled with the latest model train threads. So I have another question, if I specify a fourm, are all the sub-forums also included? If not, it's not going to be much help. I will have to add ALL the modelling sub forum ids to the list:eek: I be at 'til next week!
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I havent been able to get the rss feed to work to my expectations in firefox - prolly just me.....
  8. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

Chris,

Try a dedicated RSS reader. I tried serveral RSS readers for IE and Opera. Even tried Google's RSS, whatever the proper name is. I ended up with a standalone RSS reader (Feedreader). There are several freeware ones out there. Try some out as each one has a different feature set and it will depend on your liking as to which one to get. Now I sit and stare at the system tray waiting for the little icon to change colour to tell me there are new messages:mrgreen:
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

cool! I will look :) thanks man!
    Chris
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I have been trying to play around with this and RSS really isnt doing what i want. I was looking for exactly what you mention here and I think we need to do each forum in addition. I am going to try one and see how it works. If I get it managed I will post it.....
    Thanks
    Chris
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

12. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

:eek: Chris, you have wwwaaayyyy to much time on your hand!:mrgreen: But you are da man!:cool: Good job and thanks for that. I wouldn't have had to patience to track down all the forums.

One thing I notice is that the rss feed doesn't seem to catch follow up messages. I missed you last post , and only saw it because I checked UserCP. I wonder if anything can be done?

Note that with an RSS reader you only get the latest 15 ( I think) messages. If you turn off your RSS reader or have the update time too long, you will miss messages, i.e. if you check every hour, but 19 messgaes are posted in that hour you will loose the first 4. The problem will not be so bad if you restrict the forums to the card modelling, as there will be less posts per unit time.

Mr. Admin, is there any way to increase the number of pushed posts, especially for the entire hobby forum. It is especially a problem for us our here 16 hours (or so) away from most of you, as my computer (and me) sleeps during the time most people post, and so many posts drop off the end.
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I am Mr Admin ;) (well one anyway) :D and I have been working on the showing posts problem. I have no idea why I cant get the darn thing to show new posts. It seems to be a limitation of the way vbulletin has rss feeds setup. I didnt know about the 15 messages problem but I will check. As it stands its not a problem cause the darn thing only shows new threads, not posts. It WILL be a problem if I get it to show posts though...

What reader are you using? I am using feedreader. Seems good but I dont know that much yet :)
    Chris
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I changed the number of messages kept in cache to 30. That should fix ya up there. Still working on the showing new posts instead of just new threads though...
    Chris
  15. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

Chris,

Touche. I, too, am using Feedreader.:thumb: Do you use the smart update feature? I'm not sure I trust it yet!

I noticed the number of messages went up to 30 too! Excellent. Sorry, I didn't see the big bold sign that said "Card Models Administrator" under your name. :rolleyes: I thought changing the feed number was a highly techncial backend change that needed fooling around with programming and stuff. Not that I thought you're not a techncial guy . . . I'll stop right here before I dig myself in any deeper.:mrgreen:

The posts vs. thread issue is important though. I think that's why I didn't/don't trust the smart update feature on Feedreader! Every time I went to the forum, there were a whole bunch of messages not in the feed. If we can get all the posts in (and probably up the cache again if necessary), a lot more people will use the RSS feed. Which will save time, which means more time for modelling. And that can't be bad!
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Well folks any more RSS changes wont be possible. I wanted to make it a lot more user friendly and give better updates but Vbulletin does not have anything better built in and there are not suitable mods available. I ahve requested but gotten no response to my queries so maybe after the next vbulletin release :(
    Sorry,
    Chris
  17. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Thanks for trying Chris. We'll just have to wait a little longer, that's all, and the one thing that we all have as card modelers is patience. Right?? Of course right.

Elliott :mrgreen:
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I should say so! I have more patience in my little finger than I do in ...... wellllllll ok, so I dont have any patience. :D
    Chris
  19. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I put this darn link in the downloads thread - my bad!
    This will report all new posts from the cardmodels areas directly to your favorite feed reader :) paste the link in its entirety to your feed reader!
    http://forum.zealot.com/external.ph...88,426,448,427,450,428,429,432,433&lastpost=1
    Enjoy! Please let me know if you like it :)
    Chris

*edit* I set the cache to 100 posts so if you dont log in for a few days you will only get the last 100 posts in your feed reader
  20. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

Most excellent! Now we need to sort out how to automatically download all attachments ;) . Seriously, thanks for all your hard work Chris!