RS-2 Bash/rebuild

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Hi everyone, Opinions/suggestions

I picked up a powered/dummy set of AHM RS-2's at a flea market real cheap and I'm pondering the idea of rebuilding, atleast the dummy into a decent looking model. After looking things over I was thinking of using Kato handrails, stack, numberboards and brakewheel, Bear Locomotive pilots and cab for weight and various other detail parts plus metal wheels. I really like taking on these challenges but do you fellow modelers think it is worth it. I figure parts around 30.00, but the P1K can be had for 50.00?:eek: Should I take the challenge. Thanks for any input.

F

Fred_M

I have a powered one I've had since from around 1972. The motor cooked out several years ago. I pulled out the gears and run it as a dummy/static loco. I would be interested in seeing what you have in mind, but $30 is a bit to spend on the old girl. Mine really never ran very good or could pull very much even when it was new. I think I would buy the LL and fix it up. FRED

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Back a real long time ago (late 70's?) I was going to do what you're talking about. Because at that time there was no other model of that loco available. The mech stinks, so I bought PDTs and scatchbuilt a frame. The shell is a bit short but I decided I could live with that. I had the chassis running and was starting on the shell work when Atlas released their model from Kato. It was so far superior I never finished the project, and I had already spent the cash! So obviously my answer is no, it's not worth it! I have a pair of the Proto units and they run beautifully, I recommend them highly. Of course if you're going to enjoy the project that's what really matters. But then, there are so many projects you could choose instead!

CN1

May 6, 2003
If you realy like the old loco, go ahead fix it.
But if you're not sure go with the LL instead.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I've done the conversion.
It was a bit of work, but I enjoyed doing it.
I replaced the walkway deck and scratch-built the railings, modified and detailed the pilots, moved the exhaust stack and filled in the fuel filler on the cab.
Marker lights, horns, battery boxes, air tanks and fuel tank were built from scratch.
I also remotored and regeared the original power truck and added constant intensity, directional lighting.

Attachments

• PLERS3.jpg
    PLERS3.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 207

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Thanks for the opinions/suggestions so far guys.

Ray, that's a great looking loco, atleast you model the right railroad!:thumb:

You shouldn't have shown me that, now I think I know what I need to do:eek::D

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Brian, I know exactly what you are going through. Up until recently I was going to rebuild this Hobby town RS-3:
acc.sized.jpg

I would need a new power truck but Unfortunetly it is a 40-year-old design and parts aren't made for it anymore. So I'll probably just scrap it.

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Glen,
I don't know if they upgraded the line but this company makes the old Hobbytown products:
http:/bearlocomo.zoovy.com/

As heavy as that thing is Glen if it's only one truck that's bad take the gears out and use only one truck to power, it could handle a local freight atleast.

Ray's picture makes me want to do it now.:rolleyes::curse:

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
NYC-BKO said:
Hi everyone, Opinions/suggestions

I picked up a powered/dummy set of AHM RS-2's at a flea market real cheap and I'm pondering the idea of rebuilding, atleast the dummy into a decent looking model.

Brian,

Have you done this sorta thing before? If you haven't, then it may be good practice to do it on something that you are prepared to sacrifice if it all goes wrong. I've practiced detailing/upgrading/weathering etc on a cuppla old 2nd hand pieces. Cause I found it does take practice to get them airhoses, windshield wipers, rear view mirrors, ditch lights, flush glze windows, airbrush weathering etc right, and I didn't want to do it on something costly and new, only to wreck it in the process. Especially trying to retrofit a chassis/motor and body that weren't meant for each other. :mad:

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I don't know if they upgraded the line but this company makes the old Hobbytown products:
http:/bearlocomo.zoovy.com/

As heavy as that thing is Glen if it's only one truck that's bad take the gears out and use only one truck to power, it could handle a local freight atleast.

I already checked that website and talked to the owner. He told me that there are only 2 parts left in stock for the little beastie and I'll need alot more than that. He also explained that the only things that are interchangable with the new version are the long and short hood.
I also should mention that I don't have any truck for the one side (the picture shows 1 but its an incorrect blomberg) and the gears are not in very good shape anymore. (They are all brass)
I won't scrap it, but unless I can pick up the parts, it wil just sit in pieces in a box.

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
I thought that looked like a Blomberg, oh well, it was worth a try. Maybe you can find a junk loco that has the Alco trucks you could fit to it!?? Anybrand! Check the shows and flea markets. Hope you can salvage it.:)

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Well, I've decided to attempt the dummy version of the rebuild if I can get all the parts I need. My biggest problem I foresee is how to attach the metal pilots without the weight of them bowing the plastic frame to the rails, I guess some brass angle stiffeners should work, but I'll worry about that if I get the parts. Wish me luck, thanks again for the input.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I can see where the simularities are cosmeticaly, but the mounting of Athearn trucks and Hobbytown trucks are totaly different. The Hobbytown trucks are held in by a screw and are flat on top, with the gears running down the front or back of the truck.

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Well, the parts have been ordered, so another project goes on the board of { TO BE DONE }:rolleyes:
Have to wait for the parts to see how I'm am going to do this an plan my attack, ha ha.:confused:

Ray's model was the inspiration, thanks Ray.:curse::cry:

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Started receiving some parts today, got the cab and the ends from Bear Locomotive, nice castings,:D and they were quick to ship. I ordered the Kato parts from Discount Trains Online Monday, confirmed that they had the parts Tuesday, then I ordered from Bear once I knew I could get the Kato parts, Bear shipped Wednesday, Discount shipped today.:sleeping:
So it looks like a few days till I can plan my attack:curse: Oh well.

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Well the rest of the parts have arrived, yippee a new and exciting project to plan, maybe this one I'll finish. The Kato handrails are nice and they even include the grab irons that are curved so I won't have to bend them out of wire. Also got the horns, brakewheel, #boards and stack. If I take my time and so it right it might even turn almost as nice as Ray's locos do.:D Maybe by the time I start I'll have a dig cam so you can see the progress.:confused: