RR&C Scenic Railway

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Here is an idea that came to me the other day. I don't plan on building it, but I thought I'd share:

The Road Runner & Coyote Scenic Railway

The line runs between the towns of Road Runner and Coyote, and interchanges with the Looney Toons & Merry Melodies (LT&MM) at Road Runner. It follows a highway through the desert and features the following attractions:

* A track that runs off into a cliff that has a tunnel painted onto it.
* A crossing with the Rocket Sled Tramway, a track that follows a portion of the highway.
* Several empty Acme Corporation shipping crates scattered about the countryside.
* The wreck of a vintage World War I biplane.
* The wreck of a motor boat at the base of a waterfall.
* Several craters.
* A collapsed bridge along the highway.
* Lots of cactus and boulders.
* Piles of talus along the highway where it runs between cliffs.
* An army surplus cannon laying the middle of the desert.
* An out-of-control tornado that was created by the improper use of tornado pills.
* A catapult.
* An animal hospital.

Anyway, I thought the idea might make a fun exhibition layout.

-Rory

C

Catt

Rory,you need a hobby.You definately have way to much free time on your hands.:D :D :D

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
How long would it be? Well, that of course would depend on the scale and how you laid out the scenes. A concept like this might be a good candidate for a garden layout. It would be especially appropriate for someone living in the American Desert Southwest, I think. Maybe you'd even have a real coyote and roadrunner thing going!

Getting back to length... I think further analysis of the Road Runner & Coyote cartoons is necessary so that it can be determined how close (on average) their adventures were to railroads. From that, one could then determine the density of Coyotic Mishap Events (CMEs, for short) and selectively compress the layout to include the major CMEs in their appropriate positions relative to the track. This is not as easy as it might seem, for one should account for not only the activity near the mainlines, but also areas where trains appeared out of nowhere (open desert, tunnels painted into cliffsides and cannons). Only then can a visitor on the RR&C Scenic Railway fully appreciate the scope of this famous rivalry.

-Rory

P.S. - I have a hobby: coming up with goofy ideas!

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
The speed that Road Runner & Coyote move at, would need "Z" gauge out in the Desert.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I get ocassional flashes of inspiration. A few of them end up on my web page, although I haven't put up a stories section yet in the current one. I'd love to sit and write, though, if anyone would be dumb...er...kind enough to pay me! :)

As an somewhat interesting side note: There is a roadrunner that lives down the road from my new house. He likes to hang out along the roadside until someone drives by. I swear I heard him say "meep meep" at me the other day...

-Rory

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
This is too good - and so are the pics!!

Things that could be added

-- A Broken Refrigerator & some skis
-- A cliff face with "Bat's wings" stuck to it
-- A wood door with frame "just standing there" -- from Super Genious :) My Favorite
-- at least One Bus somewhere
-- Rocket Skates
-- Dynamite -- Lots of Dynamite - both used & unused
-- at least One Mailbox

~~ Mikey