Rover from the movie Moon

hihik

May 2, 2015
I finally finished building PaperAviation's (Martin Saenger) gorgeous model of the truck from the movie Moon.

kGsNee1.jpg

B25vaFS.jpg

CtoU3px.jpg

DRwjrnL.jpg

Here's the link to the model on the designer's website - Lunar Rover.

From the moment I saw the mock-up pictures (the model wasn't finished when I first came across it) I really, really wanted to build it. I liked the minimalist coloring, rich detailing and just the overall look of the model. I waited for almost 2 years before the model was made available for download. Then I spent about 6 months building it - mostly on weekends, just a couple of hours a day.

It's a really well designed model. Never during the build I thought "this doesn't make sense, it should have been done some other way". I mean, the instructions tell you how to position the pieces to best hide the seems!

I did my best but of course I couldn't build it as beautifully as Martin built his (you can see his finished model on his site). I did some pretty big mistakes early on which kinda accumulated as other pieces got added.

Here is the album with a few more shots - Lunar rover from the movie Moon - Album on Imgur. And some process pictures (I'm not great at documenting the steps apparently) - Lunar rover - on the bench photos - Album on Imgur.

Something else I thought you would be interested to know is that I posted these pictures on Reddit's SciFi board and, I kid you not, Gavin Rothery - the guy who designed the actual prop for the movie - showed up and commented "Hey, nice job! I love it when people take the time out to do stuff like this! (I designed most of the hardware in the film)". That caught me by surprise. Somehow I never really thought about the actual model used in the model. It was pretty cool to hear from him.

Just wanted to share this completed build with you all. Thanks!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Hey, that's great! Welcome to the forum, hihik! :)

I know Martin Saenger very well, he is a great guy and an ingenious and inspiring paper model artist. His Moon Rover is one of the finest models available and your build is superb. Rhaven Blaack and I have made a whole fleet of Thunderfighters based on his design.

BTW, please introduce yourself and tell us something about you and your interests here: http://www.zealot.com/forums/introductions.616/

Keep it on - I am looking forward to seeing more of your work. :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Beautiful build!! Please, do post an "Introduction" in the Introductions area, start a new thread for your Introduction, and post whatever you wish to post there, and tell us whatever yo wish about yourself. :)

mcusanelli

Feb 26, 2008
Beautiful work! Every part looks really precise, this is a superb build! Thanks for showing it to us:)