Oct 13, 2004
I have my impressions of the new Athearn/Roundhouse 4-4-0 at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/1905/roundhouse_4-4-0_page/

stock_loco.jpg

Thank you if you visit
Harold

N

nachoman

harold, you are a true model railroader - can't make up your mind what scale/era you like! Have you thought about building more than one layout? You could do a garden railroad, then have the 3 rail Lionel to set up on the floor during the holidays. maybe an N scale table-top for your office... Oh, and let's hope you never see the HOn3 2-8-2 blackstone models is coming out with in the next few months :)

Seriously, it's good to see someone review this loco. I like the IHC 4-4-0 as well, but the flanges are too deep for code 70 rail. Let's hope they reissue all of the MDC steamers. I've got the chasis from a mdc 2-6-0 that I think I am going to mount the boiler from the IHC 4-4-0 on top of. Should be interesting.

kevin

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
I tried the IHC boiler on the MDC chassis and it doesn't quite work. The idler gear has to be moved down to lower the motor. The appearance isn't right. I have a picture somewhere.

Harold

N

nachoman

good to know. good luck with the 1905 modelling. That is a difficult era to model due to limited availability of products. I'd like to model around that era, but I went with WWI era because there are a few more things available. I'd also liike to see a good consolidation that looks right for that time frame. The bachmann and IHC ones is way too modern looking and would need severe backdating. The roundhouse model is a wee it too small, and looks puny if you also have some roundhouse moguls or 4-4-0s that use the same boiler.

kevin