Roundhouse 2 Truck Shay's

Harold Cole

Feb 15, 2006
Clayton Delaware
Gil Finn said:
Let me how that works for you. If they cant help me then I may try the kit myself.

I was speaking to a guy at Davis Trains today and he said it was a waste of time.

I may then use it as a static display or a dummy.
Gill,i just recieved the re-gear kit from NWSL and installed on both engines.Runs better than they did when new.It took no more than 20 minutes for installing gears in both engines.Used the vise and a short piece of tubing to press them on.

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
THat is what they told me so I said refund or replace it.

Let us know when the kit arives and how much work there is to it.

I am on medication that give me a noticable tremor and it is hard for mr to do fine work.

MY eyes aren;t what they once were also.

Heck I knew a blind man that fixed watches and I can screw the couplers on a G gauge hopper/

oleirish

Nov 6, 2005
Central Point,oregon
2 truck shays

:D Here are my two MDC shays,both are kits,#10 is10 years old, or older,can't rember when I bilt it,#13 is the youngest around 4 years old!I have remotored both with flywheel,can motors,and added extria power pick ups,they run just fine,guess I'am lucky!They will pull a house down up or down hill ,top speed is about scale 10 miles per ho
JIM
shaytest2sr.jpg

Harold Cole

Feb 15, 2006
Clayton Delaware
What really TICKS me off is roundhouse knew they had a problem with the Shay's and didn't do anything about it,and now it's too late.Thanks to NWSL having the parts.

Harold Cole

Feb 15, 2006
Clayton Delaware
oleirish said:
:D Here are my two MDC shays,both are kits,#10 is10 years old, or older,can't rember when I bilt it,#13 is the youngest around 4 years old!I have remotored both with flywheel,can motors,and added extria power pick ups,they run just fine,guess I'am lucky!They will pull a house down up or down hill ,top speed is about scale 10 miles per hour

myshays2fa.jpg

jim
Mine run better than ever after re-gearing them and replacing truck pickups.Mine weren't kits when i bought them and had very little run time on them.I'am guessing the original gears didn't take too much to fatique them.I spent a few dollars to bring them back to life and it is worth it.

krokodil

Nov 20, 2003
Austria
www.railfilm.net
I have two generations of MDC Shays (both were kits). The first one is from 1985 with the open frame motor and works excellent. The another MDC Shay is a 3 truck version from 1995 already with can motor. It was a big trouble to assemble the model. I used all my skills to get it runnig. (I used already the informations from the famous SHAY book especially I replaced in the building phase the can motor with an another heavy duty version to wear-in the gears, as the can motor is not suitable for this job at all:curse: ) ). It is running quite well, however the trouble is with the extra tender it is to light to coop with all the forces created by the gears.
I added lot of lead but it is still a problem especially on switches in reverse mode. I am also hesitating about the NWSL drive.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• SHAY.jpg
    SHAY.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 74

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
Here's a pic of an MDC two-truck Shay kit I put together a while ago. At first I couldn't get it to run right. It would wobble all over and the side gears would keep jumping cogs.
I put the NWSL regear kit into it, and followed the Shay book's recommendation to clip down the gears on all but one of the wheels (for the side shaft, not the main drive shafts underneath) and now it motors right along beautifully.

I'd also repainted it from bright kawasaki green to this more realistic old-iron color.
( I love this pic because of the way the sun hits everything. Wish the walls weren't so translucent)

DMLCShay2.jpg

And a close up:

MDC-Shay-2.jpg

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
I think the are in my opinion, humble or otherwise the best looking shay made.

I have had the pleasure to work aroung shay for a number of years on the Cass Senic RR and Ithis little shay looks more like the real McCoy to me.

Offcorse there were differnt modles over the years they were produced in lLma.

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
McLennan, Alberta, Canada.
Visit site
Re-gear kit?

So, Harold, it was the NWSL #53-1866 kit that you odered and it fit into the MDC two truck Shay kit?

I have my Shay kit just started, and wouldn't mind getting these upgrades into them, as I go!!

Drew

Harold Cole said:
Gill,i just recieved the re-gear kit from NWSL and installed on both engines.Runs better than they did when new.It took no more than 20 minutes for installing gears in both engines.Used the vise and a short piece of tubing to press them on.

Harold Cole

Feb 15, 2006
Clayton Delaware
Drew Toner said:
So, Harold, it was the NWSL #53-1866 kit that you odered and it fit into the MDC two truck Shay kit?

I have my Shay kit just started, and wouldn't mind getting these upgrades into them, as I go!!

Drew
Drew,the kit was NWSL #186-6