rotary engines

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Richard, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Richard

Richard Member

first a big thank for all your positive comments.

Right now I'm building the coloured version of the Clerget engine and if it is to my satisfaction I'll put it on my homepage for download.
    After that I'm going to concentrate on the airplanes that I want to fit to the other two engines so I guess you all have to wait for a while for these two to get your hands on.............:)

Richard
  2. Richard

Richard Member

first a big thank for all your positive comments.

Right now I'm building the coloured version of the Clerget engine and if it is to my satisfaction I'll put it on my homepage for download.
    After that I'm going to concentrate on the airplanes that I want to fit to the other two engines so I guess you all have to wait for a while for these two to get your hands on.............:)

Richard
  3. histbuff1190

histbuff1190 Member

rotary engines arent quite as 'long gone' as one would assume... run a google search to find out about old rhineback aerodrome ;-) an rotaries are alive and well in the virtual world as well! check out www.targetware.net then have a look at richtoffens skies :D
  4. histbuff1190

histbuff1190 Member

rotary engines arent quite as 'long gone' as one would assume... run a google search to find out about old rhineback aerodrome ;-) an rotaries are alive and well in the virtual world as well! check out www.targetware.net then have a look at richtoffens skies :D
  5. charliec

charliec Active Member

The true marvels of engineering were engines like the Napier Sabre which produced 3000 hp out of 24 cylinders in an engine which was much smaller than V12 Merlins or DB601s. There was a very accessible book around about the history of aero engines a few years ago - "The Power to Fly" by L J K Setright.

Regards,

Charlie
  6. charliec

charliec Active Member

The true marvels of engineering were engines like the Napier Sabre which produced 3000 hp out of 24 cylinders in an engine which was much smaller than V12 Merlins or DB601s. There was a very accessible book around about the history of aero engines a few years ago - "The Power to Fly" by L J K Setright.

Regards,

Charlie
  7. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I have seen reference to a 14-cylinder Gnome rotary engine, but I only know of the 7 and 9 cylinder models. Does have any information on this engine, a drawing or photo? I have looked through Google for an image, along with the other search engines and none show any image of the 14-cylinder engine. But they do talk about it.

I am really curious as to what it looked like. Plus, a scratch build I am working on used the engine.

Ashrunner
  8. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I have seen reference to a 14-cylinder Gnome rotary engine, but I only know of the 7 and 9 cylinder models. Does have any information on this engine, a drawing or photo? I have looked through Google for an image, along with the other search engines and none show any image of the 14-cylinder engine. But they do talk about it.

I am really curious as to what it looked like. Plus, a scratch build I am working on used the engine.

Ashrunner
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

Oberursel 14 Cylinder Rotary Engine

Ash,

Anthony Fokker bought out Oberursel which made knockoff copies of the Gnome rotaries. This is the UIII 14 cylinder twin row version. I'll look to see if I have the Gnome twin row version.

-Gil
    [​IMG]
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

Oberursel 14 Cylinder Rotary Engine

Ash,

Anthony Fokker bought out Oberursel which made knockoff copies of the Gnome rotaries. This is the UIII 14 cylinder twin row version. I'll look to see if I have the Gnome twin row version.

-Gil
    [​IMG]
  11. Gil

Gil Active Member

Gnome 14 Cylinder Rotaries

And here is the Gnome version.

-Gil

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. Gil

Gil Active Member

Gnome 14 Cylinder Rotaries

And here is the Gnome version.

-Gil

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

So basically, the 14-cylinder rotary was two 7-cyliner engines slapped together...more or less?

Was the Fokker model also 100 hp? My German isn't that good anymore, but I see 160 PS above the drawings, but also a list of numbers I am unable to read.

Were there any triple row rotaries?

Ashrunner
  14. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

So basically, the 14-cylinder rotary was two 7-cyliner engines slapped together...more or less?

Was the Fokker model also 100 hp? My German isn't that good anymore, but I see 160 PS above the drawings, but also a list of numbers I am unable to read.

Were there any triple row rotaries?

Ashrunner
  15. Gil

Gil Active Member

Triple Row?

Hi Ash,

The Oberursel UIII was rated at 160 HP. I've never heard of a triple row rotary. Rotary engines were quickly abandoned for a number of very good reasons and no one associated with them ever looked back. A regular occurence while starting a rotary was the fire that it would generate directly below it on the ground. The mechanics would simply roll the aircraft back and let the fire burn itself out. One saving grace of the rotary type was the very low amount of vibration generated.

-Gil
  16. Gil

Gil Active Member

Triple Row?

Hi Ash,

The Oberursel UIII was rated at 160 HP. I've never heard of a triple row rotary. Rotary engines were quickly abandoned for a number of very good reasons and no one associated with them ever looked back. A regular occurence while starting a rotary was the fire that it would generate directly below it on the ground. The mechanics would simply roll the aircraft back and let the fire burn itself out. One saving grace of the rotary type was the very low amount of vibration generated.

-Gil
  17. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Twin Row Rotary Engines, Rotary vs. Radial

Interesting, Gil,

The Oberursel 160 hp version must be the same engine which was fitted into the Fokker E. IV, which had a twin row rotary engine.

Btw, I found two very nice pictures.
    The first is the Oberursel Ur. I rotary engine, which was fitted in the Fokker 'Eindecker' E. I thru III:
    [​IMG]
    The second is a much newer radial engine, the Rotec Radial R2800, for comparison:
    [​IMG]
    This type of (much bigger) engine can be fitted when making replica aeroplanes, for example in this Fokker D. VIII from Holland:
    [​IMG]
    This is an interesting thread - a lot to be learned.
    Bengt:grin:
  18. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Twin Row Rotary Engines, Rotary vs. Radial

Interesting, Gil,

The Oberursel 160 hp version must be the same engine which was fitted into the Fokker E. IV, which had a twin row rotary engine.

Btw, I found two very nice pictures.
    The first is the Oberursel Ur. I rotary engine, which was fitted in the Fokker 'Eindecker' E. I thru III:
    [​IMG]
    The second is a much newer radial engine, the Rotec Radial R2800, for comparison:
    [​IMG]
    This type of (much bigger) engine can be fitted when making replica aeroplanes, for example in this Fokker D. VIII from Holland:
    [​IMG]
    This is an interesting thread - a lot to be learned.
  19. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Rotary Engines - Gyroscopic Effect

Gil,

I read about the Oberursel rotary engines in Fokker aeroplanes from WW I.
    They obviously had the disadvantage of giving a gyroscopic effect, with the engineĀ“s big turning mass, making the Fokkers hard to manouver and land - they wanted to steer right on landing, which had to be corrected with the rudder. This obviously demanded great skill from the pilots.

20. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Rotary Engines - Gyroscopic Effect

Gil,

I read about the Oberursel rotary engines in Fokker aeroplanes from WW I.
    They obviously had the disadvantage of giving a gyroscopic effect, with the engineĀ“s big turning mass, making the Fokkers hard to manouver and land - they wanted to steer right on landing, which had to be corrected with the rudder. This obviously demanded great skill from the pilots.