Rookie contest entry and 327 free models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthias

Dec 13, 2005
I know the big download is a hassle, but at least BK-Portal's server is pretty fast - no help if the bottleneck is on your end though :(

The file is the third one down in the center column of the page linked, under the heading:

Blitzkrieg Resource Kit
Entire collection of Blitzkrieg unit resource files plus Maya samples
316MB download, uncompressing to around 5GB and 84,270 files.

You can try this Direct Link but it's a relative url and may break if the site updates.

Matthias

NOBI

Jan 15, 2004
Bangkok, Thailand
Modified Blitzkrieg's mesh to be as papermodel

Hi there,

Model from Blitzkrieg is not ready to unfold and print to be a papermodel...u need to modified yourself in computer (3dprogram) or outside computer (print and cut it with knife to make it fit together) all mesh inside have an overlap part what is no problem when show in game but that is a problem for papermodeling. Matthias send me some mesh to make me play with, after open mesh in deep exploration (to make mesh can open in metaseq with texture) i found that is a lot of work to do :cry: ...thinking to modified and make a tutorial to let's member to see how can make papermodel from Blitzkrieg game too...but soon :eek:ops:

Stev0

Jan 30, 2006
yes! Like Nobi has said ... always remember that just because someone has made a 3D model and you can get it to an unfolding program. There is a 99.999% chance it's not going to work. Many game models are low poly but they are not perfect for card models.

I have yet to work with 1 single digital model from someone else (not created for paper output) that did'nt need some serious re-work. Vertices do not match, edges do not match, faces go through others, missing faces, inverted faces. and so on. By the time one gets through making the changes and doing tests ... your almost better off to have just created the whole piece from scratch yourself.

The plus side to game models is ... the texture.

Millenniumfalsehood

Mar 17, 2007
Ark City, Kansas
I dont usually have a problem with game model based paper models, especially if it's a Pepakura model, where I can inspect the model to find out at which pixel it intersects the opposing vertice.

silverw

Mar 15, 2004
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
members.shaw.ca
Paper models

Stev0 said:
yes! Like Nobi has said ... always remember that just because someone has made a 3D model and you can get it to an unfolding program. There is a 99.999% chance it's not going to work.

Right you are Steve...

Sort of like the people that stumble in here, look at all the GREAT models, ... and say ......

"Well, I don't like building them, but I can design them! ... so, here are some pictures.... Now, what software do I need to print out a model?

BTW: How much can I sell a REALLY BIG model for???"

Matthias

Dec 13, 2005
These models are so simple that things like intersecting surfaces can be dealt with on the fly. For the tanks, that means the track/hull intersection and maybe the "fenders". I'm sure that some of the planes have wing roots that don't join up etc (can't remember on the Fw), but really - it's modelling, not paint-by-numbers. Making one of thes fit is a whole lot easier than most of the modeling we do!

Thanks for the comments - the neat thing about this set is that they are all "to theme". They look like they belong together sitting on your desk. Now if the developers had released the buildings and terrain models as well I'd be very happy - instant 1/72 or smaller dioramas!

Matthias

Status
Not open for further replies.