Rooftop Water Tower

F

Fred_M

Here's a little HO water tower I built from paper and basswood for a Soap Plant on my layout. FRED

Attachments

• donner tower.jpg
    donner tower.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 263
F

Fred_M

Mounted

And here it is on the building. FRED

Attachments

• water tower.jpg
    water tower.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 259
F

Fred_M

another tower

Built another this weekend for another factory. These are easy and fun to build. FRED

Attachments

• watertower2.jpg
    watertower2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 168

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Those do add a nice touch! How'd you figure out how to do the roof? I know there is some geometric principle to it but....?
Ralph

F

Fred_M

Geometric principle

That's funny, LOL. Just trace a circle slighly large on tag (card) paper and cut it out. Cut out a wedge (piece of pie) about 1/10 the size of the pie. Tape it together and glue it on center to the tank. When the glue dries trim it with scissors. Glue on 8 strips of paper (one covering seam). Cap with 1/4 dia bond paper circle soaked in glue till it's soft. :) No math involved (other than 1/10) and don't even need a ruler. :D If it was hard I couldn't do it. FRED

Went to NY NY last month. Our hotel (fleabag) was in times square, and from our room I counted 6 rooftop water towers that looked like they were built in the early 1900's on top of highrises. Not too visible from the street, yet an unexpected sight form above. Just found this picture I took up there when we were walking...look at the contrast of water tower to skyscraper.

Attachments

• ny rooftop.jpg
    ny rooftop.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 109
F

Fred_M

I love seeing proto pictures like that. It use to be almost every factory had their own water tower before the cities decided they could turn a profit selling water. Even in the 60s and 70s they were used. I remember back in the early 60's a tornado knocked over a big water tank at the Delco plant. You should of seen the wave that came out of the top of it when it hit the ground and split open. It was awesome and I was stupid for seeing it. You should always seek shelter. Today just turn on you camcorder first. FRED