Ron Caudillo's Enterprise Bridge

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sdk2knbk, Jan 21, 2007.

1. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Ron's TOS Enterprise Bridge, no bloody A, B, C, D, E or even J! A Build Thread? Me? Well, I suppose I had to break down and try it sometime. Here's the first completed sub-assembly, the raised and sunken deck. The cut out command module pedestal is off to the side.

Scott K.

Attached Files:

2. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Tonight's progress

I made several mistakes since I'm using a print I made of Ron's first release, before he added the excellent instructions the kit currently has. I tried to print out a new set in B&W from my malfunctioning piece of...., I mean my old printer. They didn't come out very well, but should be good enough to help me avoid similar mistakes as I go on. This time the Command Module was completed and added, along with the Helmsman and Navigator Staton sub-assembly. I see that I was supposed to add the stairs before the Command Chair. Oh, well, I'll do them next time anyway.

Scott K.

Attached Files:

3. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

As this was on my top ten to do list, I will be watching with interest.
  4. stagecoach

stagecoach Member

I built that bridge once.
    Then I manned it with hako star trek crew modified
    had to make their legs longer so I could bend them at the knees.
    had Kirk, Sulu and chekov at the helm.
    ahura at communications
    spoke at navagation
    scott at engineering
    security standing in doorway
    bones standing looking at viewfinder.
    looked pretty good.
    Camera didn't work when I gave it away.
    oh well no pictures
  5. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Nice work so far! Thanks for sharing you build photos and comments. I had discussed rescaling the model for the Trek Hako set, but have been side tracked so many times that I don't know if I can get to it soon. I would have LOVED to see photos of the bridge with the rescaled hakos.

Glad the instructions are helping. Keep up the thread!

Best to all,
    Ron Caudillo
    ronaldcaudillo@yahoo.com
  6. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Been a while since I had a chance to work on the Bridge, but was able to do a little tonight. Added the steps and railings. I still need to get a new red marker so I can finish touching up the railing edges.

Scott K.

Attached Files:

7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Nice! I would like to see a transporter room one day too :)
    Chris
  8. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

You mean like this one?:roll: Sure wish there was a contact address for Scott Pallack on the CultTvman page I got this from. (http://www.culttvman.com/scott_p_s_starship_interiors.html)

Scott K.

Attached Files:

9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Wowsers! The bridge looks awesome so far! At some angles you almost expect teh cast to step on and take flight!
  10. C Babbage

C Babbage New Member

What about additional view screens?

Ron Caudillo did a great job designing this model. I just started building mine, but I can't seem to find the additional view screen sheets. Anyone have a link?

Charles Babbage
  11. Ron Caudillo

Additional View Screens

Hi all,
    I have 3 sheets of 15 screens each from various episodes. I sent them to Jon Leslie who currently hosts the 1:50 bridge model, but I know with having just starting a new job, his focus has to be there for a while. So in the meantime, here they are for the first time as a public release. If these need to be posed instead in the parts bin, I apologize.

If you have other captures of the Enterprise main screens that you would like for me to include in future pages, email them to me at: ronaldcaudillo@yahoo.com.

The pictures you have show the excellent work of your build. I'm sorry the railing and steps are a bit of a pain, the rest is easier I promise!

Best to all,
    Ron Caudillo

Attached Files:

12. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Thanks, Ron. Until tonight though, I didn't realize the version I printed only had the one black screen. Hopefully I'll be able to get my old printer working soon (or just replace it outright) and I'll be able to print them.The steps and rails are a bit "fiddly", but with my fat fingers and ham-hands, almost everything is...:) BTW, in the file Bridge Mainscreen4.pdf, the top "unknown" images are from "The Enterprise Incident", and the bottom ones are from "The Doomsday Machine." The middle unknown image is from "And The Children Shall Lead." The main viewer and adjacent stations are going together pretty well so far. While looking around the web last night for more interior set details, I found this on Phil Broad's site; http://www.cloudster.com/sets&vehicles/STEnterprise/Burke_Chair/BurkeChairsTop.htm An interesting article on the original Burke model 115 chairs that the Enterprise standard chairs were customized from. now if I do a "poor" job on my bridge chairs, I'll have an excuse!:roll:

Scott K.
  13. Ron Caudillo

Thanks for the information Scott! I've been trying to get the episode names for a while. Even though I like Star Trek (grew up with it), I don't have an in depth knowledge of the various episodes. I'll fix the 4th page and send the file to Jon Leslie for hosting.

For the chairs, I had checked out the Cloudster site and probably spent the most time designing the chairs that any other one item in the model. It took me about 5 different ideas to get the chairs to look "right". They build fairly easy but you may want to substitute a round toothpick for the rolled chair post- if you do this, you'll want to sand it down to make it thinner as a toothpick is just too fat.

Best Regards,
    Ron Caudillo
  14. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

More progress. The first 4 stations and main viewscreen.
    [​IMG]

The assembled stations.
    [​IMG]

Turbolift and Communications attached to Bridge base.
    [​IMG]

Scott K.
  15. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Make sure when you build your stations, the "C" and "D" edge parts are fully flush with the edges of the "A" and "B" parts. A couple of mine weren't and it made some of the assemblies fit a bit tight, requiring a little "persuasion" from my pliers when glueing the edges together. Anyway, assembly continued until the Bridge looked like this;
    [​IMG]

The remaining assembly pics in between are in my gallery.

Scott K.
  16. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

View Screens.

Glad to see Ron's bridge getting made. I had fully intended to get this done, before now, but have been working on my prototype, styrene kit. I intend to use this bridge model as part of the 1/350th TOS Enteprise display.

I'm still hosting the model and some fonts, the separate bridge screens should be included here, you can get both versions, the 1/50th and the 1/25th.

http://www.compositecreationsltd.com/Downloads.html
  17. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

What the Devil was That?!?

I seat down at my card table earlier this afternoon to start working on the chairs. In the background, my son was watching the end of "Time Bandits". When the movie was over, an original series episode of Star Trek came on. Hmm, "Doomsday Machine", my favorite. I was a bit surprised to see it on our local FOX affiliate, as I though only "TV Land" was showing it now. Anyway, I wondered why the show didn't quite look right, finally it hit me, every exterior (space) shot was different! I suppose I need to pay more attention to Trek news I see, but I apparently missed numerous articles like this one; http://trekmovie.com/2006/08/28/star-trek-tos-gets-redone-with-new-cgi/ I watched the whole thing and found the experience somewhat disconcerting. The annoying cuts that have been in the syndicated version for the past 20 years or so are still there, and even extended a bit in places. Too bad. As for the new cgi effects, well, it was interesting, but it wasn't really MY Star Trek (showing my age now, I guess:) ) I suppose the younger crowd will like it better this way, but it just felt odd to me. At least they left the original plot and dialogue alone.

Scott K.
  18. stagecoach

stagecoach Member

bridge additions

join cardmodels4fun google group and ask them for models of star trek crew
    then reduce them in size to fit your model bridge (these are hako style model)

just as a suggestion after model is completed cover it with a sheet of clear
    plastic to keep dust out.

John
  19. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

John, I have the Hakos already and was thinking about adding them once I can print again. Funny you should mention a clear cover, I was just thinking about that, too.

Scott K.
  20. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

The Bridge is Finished!

Yay, the chairs are finally finished and installed!
    [​IMG]

I hate to show this side, too many mistakes visible :cry:. The tabs for the sunken deck assembly should be folded INWARD, not outward, dummy! Anyway, the deck edge supports have been added.
    [​IMG]

Just had the outside wrap left to add - finished! :grin: More of the alignment errors from the station assemblies came back to haunt me here. Still, doesn't look too bad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last 2 shots do not show the final version of the "wrap" pieces. This is just the earlier version that I had printed out. If I ever around to adding some crew, Hako or otherwise, I'll post more pictures here. At least if I ever build another one, I'll know what NOT to do next time.:roll:

Scott K.