Rolling Reels Automa

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by Mark_1984, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

2. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

3. Kaz

Kaz Member

Be careful if you print this out, some of the pages are double sided, and requires you to resubmit some of the sheets.
  4. Kaz

Kaz Member

Be careful if you print this out, some of the pages are double sided, and requires you to resubmit some of the sheets.
  5. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

I'm doing this one at home, and have gotten the cam section done. The kids love it so far, even though the track is not yet attached!

It is a very nice model, good instructions, good fit. One thing to watch is that the cams move freely. Make sure the cams walls are straight (no bulges), and the edges are well glued down and there should be no problem. It's fun just watching the cams go up and down!
  6. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

I'm doing this one at home, and have gotten the cam section done. The kids love it so far, even though the track is not yet attached!

It is a very nice model, good instructions, good fit. One thing to watch is that the cams move freely. Make sure the cams walls are straight (no bulges), and the edges are well glued down and there should be no problem. It's fun just watching the cams go up and down!
  7. bulldogowner

bulldogowner Destroyer of Spam Moderator

I built this model some time ago...very fun, and very precise. My son particularly enjoys "playing" with it, and it is a conversation starter too. I would highly recommend it to anyone with a little experience.
  8. bulldogowner

bulldogowner Destroyer of Spam Moderator

I built this model some time ago...very fun, and very precise. My son particularly enjoys "playing" with it, and it is a conversation starter too. I would highly recommend it to anyone with a little experience.
  9. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

100% PURE FUN!!!:grin::grin::grin:
  10. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

100% PURE FUN!!!:grin::grin::grin:
  11. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Man, I keep seeing this at work, reminding myself to download it when I get home, and not remembering again until I'm back at work...

Man, I'm an idiot.. It looks way too cool to miss.....
  12. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Man, I keep seeing this at work, reminding myself to download it when I get home, and not remembering again until I'm back at work...

Man, I'm an idiot.. It looks way too cool to miss.....
  13. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

Flying Pig's free Agreeable Sheep is also in this vein. A little more simple, but fun to build.

http://www.flying-pig.co.uk/pages/freesheep.htm

I added a rubber band to the cam and attached ot to the bottom of the box. Did it help? Ask the sheep: Yes indeedy! :)
  14. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

Flying Pig's free Agreeable Sheep is also in this vein. A little more simple, but fun to build.

http://www.flying-pig.co.uk/pages/freesheep.htm

I added a rubber band to the cam and attached ot to the bottom of the box. Did it help? Ask the sheep: Yes indeedy! :)
  15. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

Right! Finished the model over the weekend. One thing I would do next time is make one of the reels beforehand and use it to test the track. I had a feeling in me water that I should make one, but instead followed the instructions to the letter. I had to spend some time smoothing out the track afterwards!:roll:

I would also strengthen the handle as it is nearly worn out from cranking after only 3 days! :) The kids love this one!
  16. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

Right! Finished the model over the weekend. One thing I would do next time is make one of the reels beforehand and use it to test the track. I had a feeling in me water that I should make one, but instead followed the instructions to the letter. I had to spend some time smoothing out the track afterwards!:roll:

I would also strengthen the handle as it is nearly worn out from cranking after only 3 days! :) The kids love this one!
  17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Aaaah, lots of reinforcement!
    That makes a lot of sense.
    You know, everyone who sees it will want to turn that crank!
    I even bought the clown on the bicycle (forget the name) and
    I bet it will receive the same amount of attention so thanks for the tip!

Hey, where are your pictures!?!?
    Completion and wear are no excuse, come on, put em up for us to see!:twisted:

Russell
  18. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Aaaah, lots of reinforcement!
    That makes a lot of sense.
    You know, everyone who sees it will want to turn that crank!
    I even bought the clown on the bicycle (forget the name) and
    I bet it will receive the same amount of attention so thanks for the tip!

Hey, where are your pictures!?!?
    Completion and wear are no excuse, come on, put em up for us to see!:twisted:

Russell
  19. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

Ok, due to popular demand :wink: here is a picture of the completed model (battle damaged) and a macro shot of the handle.

Looking at that handle, I think next time, if I ever did it again, I would try to make the handle turn as well, i.e. make a tube, make a round hole in the disk instead of a square, insert the tube and stick to a separate backing. Thus the handle will turn and be kept in place as the larger disk is glued flush up against the side wall.
  20. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

Ok, due to popular demand :wink: here is a picture of the completed model (battle damaged) and a macro shot of the handle.

Looking at that handle, I think next time, if I ever did it again, I would try to make the handle turn as well, i.e. make a tube, make a round hole in the disk instead of a square, insert the tube and stick to a separate backing. Thus the handle will turn and be kept in place as the larger disk is glued flush up against the side wall.