Rolling Along

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
This weekend I chose to work on the layout instead of the work diorama. Thought I'd post a couple pics of the progress, just cause I can.

#1: Top deck plywood now in place, and as you can see, I've even got some trackage laid - about half of the outer loop. Even though this is Rock Island trackage, I had my P2K UP GP9 out in the garage, along with my favorite covered hoppers from the Canadian Wheat Board. Note how you can see the "hidden" part of the lower level in this photo - it will of course be covered by scenery eventually.

2002jun01a.jpg

#2: This photo shows the canyon in the foreground, where the UP trackage will be visible, and the portion of the outer ROCK loop completed to date.

2002jun01b.jpg

Course, that may be substantially all the progress for a little while on trackage. Takes a while to save up for those Peco turnouts, I'll tell you. Still look and feel WAAAAYYYYYY better than the Atlas's, though. I might start on some scenery next while I'm waiting. I could also work on some buildings and their spurs, because some of these are now in place.

C

Catt

Hey Mike,I just spent a couple days doing abit of scenery work on the GVR just to get away from the total "Blueboard Central" look.

Makes for a nice change of pace wether waiting to buy PECO turnouts(not yet I still have 4 left to use :D ),or just for a change of pace.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Catt, I was thinking the same thing - starting to work on the scenery while I'm waiting for more cash. I might also start on the inner loop, on the far end, which doesn't require any turnouts for about seven feet of track.

Tyson - no, not in this phase. I was initially thinking about adding a helix to one end of the module, but it would have made it substantially larger of course- too large for my wife's liking I'm sure. When we buy our house and I get half the basement, then I'll make some additions and connections so trains can move from the top level to the bottom level.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Mike, looking very good, I think a helix would be a good idea sometime in the future, although on my layout it rises from 0" to 14" without a helix and it's not too steep a climb three times around the room on a 10' by 5' main board in H0.

Shamus