Rollin' Your Own (Wheels)

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Fishcarver, May 10, 2006.

1. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

One of the aspects of cardmodelling that I do not particularly enjoy is the making of wheels and tires out of numerous bits of card; especially if I am scratchbuilding a project. (As I have done with my 2P26 GAZ 69 ATGM Jeep). So, here's a little tutorial called "Roll Your Own" (wheels, that is).

As a wildlife woodcarver, I usually have a plentiful supply of wooden dowels of various sizes lying about the shop. In Photo #1 we see: a representative piece of wood dowel, measurement being taken off the tech drawing, a slice of dowel, and locating the center using a center-finding square.

Attached Files:

2. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

The trusty Dremel Tool

Drill a small hole into the center of your "wheel blank", so as to be able to attach the wheel to a mandrel on your trusty DREMEL tool.....

Attached Files:

3. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

...because your chosen slice o' dowel is likely to be just a bit oversize. We spin the dowel against a sanding block to reduce the diameter and, at the same time, shape the tire shoulders.

Attached Files:

4. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Continue spinnin' and shapin' until your wheel/tire is of the proper diameter and profile.

Attached Files:

5. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

The center of the wheel/tire can be carved out as necessary. In this case, we have used a 3/8" (9mm) cylindrical carbide burr (KUTZALL):

Attached Files:

6. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

After a few minutes work, we have a nice, uniform set of wheels all ready to install on our model. The photo below shows a turned wheel, card hub inserts, the painted wheels and wheel installed on an axle.

Rollin' Your Own!! It's Fun!!

Jim

Attached Files:

7. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

In a future "advanced" tutorial, I'll demonstrate how to put lugs and directional treads on, using the DREMEL tool and a woodburner.........

Jim
  8. jasco

jasco Member

I have done essentially the same thing with layers of chipboard, the advantage being that I can turn outer rings to make the wheel look like a tire mounted on a wheel. It also satisfies the "purist" in me by sticking to paper.(Although I do use wire, toothpicks, etc when the mood strikes) I'm sure we will all be interested to learn how you use a woodburner(!) to put in treads. Many of my models end up in the woodburner after frustrating attempts to build them!
  9. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Jasco: go here and take a look!

http://www.razertip.com/catalogue.htm

The "woodburner" to which I refer is actually a "pyrographic pen". The woodburner to which you refer is, I belive, called in these parts a "Quebec heater" :)

Jim
  10. badwargamer

badwargamer New Member

Hi....Great tip.

Can I ask where did you get the centre finding square?

Adam
  11. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member