Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Getter1, Nov 18, 2007.
Ok progress this week has been slow due to work killin me
It's all down to the details now.
Here is the engine exhaust built. I laminated 2 pieces of card on to the paper pattern. After cutting I shaped the edges. This was the easiest way to make it.
Here the tail skid and main gear struts are mounted.
The tail skid is coated with super glue for reinforcement then painted.
The main gear was made with wire wrapped with regular paper. The spreader has a piece of wire throught it as well.
A larger model can use round toothpicks as I used on the original 2 prototypes but are too big for the 1/72.
Here the cockpit padding and the main gear drag brake (parts to add to the part sheets).
A shot of the drag brake assembled and painted.
Note the simulated bolt on the mount bracket. This was achieved by adding a drop of white glue on each side.
Here the spinner is coming together.
I put a round head straight pin through the back disk and glue the ball to the inside point of the cone. Then glue the cone to the back disk.
I had to sand down the pin's head quite a bit to get it to fit together. The Roland's spinner was quite short.
Here's the wheels mounted.
Note to the Beta builders, the wheel covers are too big and too sharp an angle. Disgard them till I send out the new parts sheet.
Now for those intrested I'm gonna show how I make the mount for gaming like Canvas Eagles.
First I make the mount bar from a roound toothpick cut at a 45 degree angle. Then super glue it back together at a 90 degree angle.
Next I roll a tube of regular paper around the toothpick as an insert for the fuselage.
I drill a hole into the fuselage and widen it with a knife for the insert to be installed.
I then glue the insert into the hole in the fuselage.
When all is dry the mount bar can be plugged in and removed easily.
I like the removable mount bar so that when I'm not using them as game pieces I can display them as models
Well that's it for tonight I'm cashed
Your other aircraft look great. It's amazing how small they are in 1/144 scale. Until I get better at 1/72 scale, I'll save the 1/144 scale ones for later.
I love 1/72. You can fit a whole pile of em on a shelf and as you've seen they can be nicely detailed
I love 1/144 as a challenge but the scale is insane. You should see some of the ship scale planes! Now those are scarry
I finished the Roland today , but here's the rest of the build pics.
Here I made the exhaust pipes from 6 pieces of copper wire (stripped phone wire).
Also note to the beta builders. The engine was a tad short in it's seated position in the engine compartment so I made a booster bracket in the front of the engine. The bracket is not full length because I wouldn't be able to slip it into the compartment if it was.
I found a 1/72 plastic kit made by Airfix. I copied the decal sheet for some markigns to be added to the beta. I just wish I had some thinner paper for this step
Here I added the windshield. The next pic shows teh final detail parts in the process of being painted.
It's hard to see in the pic but here I cut a slot in the deck for the forward machine gun to be seated into. The slot is in the section just in front of the windshield.
I didn't draw the slot into the fuselage parts because not all Roland C.IIs had the forward gun, it's optional.
Here we have the finished product.
The engine installed, guns mounted, rollcage mounted, and the rest of the markings applied.
Note on the engine exhaust pod. I cut a slot in the side of it to seat the cluster of piping that goes nto the side. Sorry I forgot to take a shot of the slotted pod side I was just getting too excited at being on the home stretch.
Also if anyone likes the decal idea I used here a strong word of warning. The application of the wing markings caused the wing tips to warp. The reason is 2 fold. 1st I didn't make the wing boxes long enough to reinforce the tips porperly (minor mistake but allowed the 2nd reason to do the damage). The 2nd reason being my glue stick was out so I used regular white glue. It hadn't effected the body markings or tail so I thought it would be ok.........it wasn't I spent over an hour coaxing the tips back into shape. They're close, but as a modeler I'm usually not pleased with less than perfection. It's just so upsetting to have a big mistake happen at the end I fixed it so I guess that's all that matters
Here are some close up.
Cwiseman my rear still hurts from the muse
All that's left at this point is to update the parts sheets.
Hope everyone has enjoyed the build.
Getter1: you did the excellent model! Congratulations!
Thanks for the kind words This is my 1st aircraft design in paper, and I hope to do more in the future.