Rolland C.II Beta Build

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Getter1, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hello all,

Got a little more done today.

Here the lower wings have been trimmed up and pernamently mounted.

Getter 1

Attached Files:

2. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Here the radiators have been assembled and mounted.

G1

Attached Files:

3. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

The upper wings have been trimmed, and wing spars attached.

G1

Attached Files:

4. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

After the struts dried I dry fitted the wings on to check the struts. They needed a slight trimming. After I was satisfied with the fit they were pernamently mounted.

After the glue set I gave her a toss, and she flew magnificently :D

I wasn't worried about damaging the model. It's quite solid :D

Now that the major construction is over all that's left is details. Hope to have most of it done tomorrow.

G1

Attached Files:

5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

you threw it! very cool :D thanks for the update.
    Chris
  6. dansls1

dansls1 Member

She looks good.
    I'm sorry I haven't done anything more on my build - I'm on the home stretch with my BF109 and I'm really hoping to finish her up with the long weekend, so all my modelling time has been spent on her. Once she's done I'll get back to your beta, I promise ;)
  7. Janx

Janx Member

Looks really good. I am like Dan having trouble with the bulkheads fitting, or more likely my lack of skill as this is my first WW1 aircraft with curves a plenty. I only found out after i mounted the bulk heads on 1mm card stock. Going to print of 2-3 sets on 120 gsm and start again. Cutting holes in parts after they are made is tricky for a novice like me and tbh I didn't even try. Borrowed a few sheets of appropriately coloured card from daughter so will try the interior pre coloured.
  8. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Yep :D It flew like a dream, very stable :D :D :D

G1
  9. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

No problem Dan, take your time.

Speaking of BF109s I have Dr. Zarkov's 109 on the bench to finish myself. As well as so many other half finished projects. I suspect I have the attention span of a 5 year old so when something lactces you down stick with it :p

G1
  10. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hey Janx,

Bulkhead #2 was a bit off for me as well. It is most likely due to how I transfered them to the parts sheet. I cut them out from my "ugly" sheets and pasted em onto the "pretty" sheet for scanning. Some of the parts when scanned had barely visible edges so I outlined them to make em show up when scanned in. My guess is Bulkhead #2 ended up a little larger as a result. I keep the point of my mechanical pencil very sharp by rubbing it to a point on scratch card. It keeps your tracing and such very precise. However you have to keep sharpening it very often. I may have let it get too dull at the time I traced that bulkhead.

I had the bulkhead assembly built and painted when I discovered my too tight fit. My solution was an emery board (the kind you use on your fingernails). They are a perfect tool for sanding models of all mediums. I carefully sanded a little off the edges at a time till I had a perfect fit.

If you're going to line the inside of the cockpit be prepared to trim a bit more off all the bulkheads (or perhaps print those parts at 1% smaller) to conpensate for the added thickness. I'm intending for the cockpit sections to have a backside printing done if possible, eliminating the need for a linner.

As for post forming cutting holes. The only ones I really really reccomend are the ones I did in my build. That would be the tail plane slot and the top wing hole. I don't know how easy it will be to get the right shape without post cutting, I didn't try bulding it that way myself. Let me know how it goes.

Post cutting is not that bad, just make sure you have a fresh blade.

G1
  11. Janx

Janx Member

Will do, will reprint a few sheets 1-2% smaller at work on Monday and start again. I must admit i am finding it a challenge, very different to the boxes I normally build :) If you need a textures for this Fisch let me know, love to attempt some of the bolder WW1 patterns.
  12. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hello all,

All those who hate being on call raise your hand!!!

Despite having an emergency call from work I did manage to get some of the toughest detail parts together.

Here we have the engine coming together.

Getter 1

Attached Files:

13. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Here is the Observer's Gun.

Note the gunsight, then think about the zoomed out pic showing the size of the gun compared to the clothespin hold it up :p Needless to say my eyes are shot now :p

G1

Attached Files:

14. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

And here's the Pilot's Gun. Not as impressive as the aft gun :p

G1

Attached Files:

15. Janx

Janx Member

Nice would be an understatement, at 1/72nd that's impressive indeed.
  16. Alcides

Alcides Member

If I'ill build your model I'm going to build it in 1/48 scale.

No way I can build this weapons in 1/72 scale.

Great work.
  17. Proxima77

Proxima77 New Member

Looking great.
  18. Janx

Janx Member

Ok Started again, not up to modelling in 1/72nd scale my chunky hands won't let me (a bad workman etc etc) so doing in approx 1/48th.

After having about 4 attempts at the bulkheads I eventually comitted the heinous crime of redrawing them, sorry G1 :( me bad. Printed them on 120 gsm with a light brown/tan colouring and spray mounted them to .5mm card stock and attached them with right angled supports and assembled the cockpit and gunners station.

While waiting for the cockpit to dry I then copied the seat onto textured grey card stock, stolen off my daughter :) the seat was probably leather I realised after so will have to paint it. There is no attachment info on how high the seat is mounted on the bulkhead so I have used your images G1 to guess. I will use you images do create and affix the gunners seat too. I have found in my daughter's card collection some thin silver so will try to make the gun mount and ring from this.

Enjoying this so far :)

Attached Files:

19. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Great start Janx :D Looking forward to seeing this built by some other builders :D

I will be doing another sheet of the parts I designed in the process of the Beta. I also intend to include a few cockpit parts That I only recently found refrences for.

I'm gonna try to get some more done tonight.

I know 1/72 is crazy small but I actually build mine in 1/72 for 1 main reason. I use em for playing Canvas Eagles, a WW1 air combat game w/minatures. Oh I've already installed a mount for the Roland to be used a a game piece :p

In the pics below are a few I built for the Game.

*in the first pic mine is the checkered SPAD XIII.

*2nd pic is a Fiddlers Green F2B (I noticed too late that the kit provide struts that were too long).

*the last set of pics are a FG Pfalz D.III upgraded w/parts from Marek's Pfalz kit.

G1

Attached Files:

20. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Oh I've gone smaller than 1/72 once.

Here is a Fiddler's Green Siemens Schuckert done in 1/144 winh rigging and a turnable prop.

There are others here much better at doing these in this scale but I was fairly proud to be able to pull it off.

G1

Attached Files: