Rod Powered Antique Oil Field

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
A Great Post

A few comments on a great post Rivit counters......Huh!
There was a chap in England who in the 1930 built a lot of live steam locos that were not absolute fine scale but gave a host of builders much pleasure, we have many of his loco types running at the club I belong to. At our club we have a seperate section devouted to Oil Engines ,over 50 in the collection many with those huge flywheels ,they provide some of our electricity and compressed air requirements, but I digress, that English gentleman had a saying " The fitness of things " meaning that it was all right to alter things to suit the looks. an example ,the contol valves on a loco...I dont have scale fingers...nuff said
Want paint to stick to copper...first paint with an Etching Primer as used on cars.
Enjoyed the post tremendously... a word of warning dont overdo the motion aspect.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Re: 4 more wells

Originally posted by dash10
This is a good project for a hack like me, the prototypes are home built junky looking machines just like the ones I built. DASH

Not "junky"...they exude an air of the homebuilt character of the prototype;)

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:Cool beans...

By the way, if the Mrs. catches on to your ploy, I use a similar motor in the fireplaces on our property that would be suitable and that you'd be welcome to. 6 degree nights in a doghouse tend to be mighty cold.:eek:

F

Fred_M

I added some spilt product to the area along with some used to quiet the squeeking and grinding. Also added some more tree forks to hold the rods up off the ground just like the proto. I'm working on a tin motor shed using my computer ribbon cable method. The pumps have been running constantly for 3 days now without trouble. They even were left running when I painted them so they wouldn't freeze up from paint. Thanks for the motor offer but it's 2 years old and the novelty of a fiberoptic tree wore out in 2002. DASH

Attachments

• product.jpg
    product.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 184
F

Fred_M

shed

Got the motor shed done and put in place. Now for a wood water tank and an oil tank. Pumps have been running 24/7 for 14 days. Seem pretty reliable. DASH

Attachments

• shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 182
F

Fred_M

Built the water tank from toothpicks and a gas house from balsa. DASH

Attachments

• water tank.jpg
    water tank.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 141
F

Fred_M

I always have fun. Got the oil tanks done and installed. Place to keep the liquid money until the trucks come pick it up. DASH

Attachments

• oil tanks.jpg
    oil tanks.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 126
F

Fred_M

Well thank you. Your work is better though. The ladder is from a 79 cent matchbox firetruck. The bars are .015 brass K&S rods. The platform is balsa with toothpick beams underneight. The tanks are paper mache containers from hobby lobby. The weld seams were painted with white glue. DASH

F

Fred_M

Built a chicken coup so my LPchickens can get in and avoid them chicken hawks. DASH

F

Fred_M

Keep forgetting to attach pictures:eek:ops: DASH

Attachments

• chicken house.jpg
    chicken house.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 116