Rock Walls for Fish Tank Project

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
So, if you don't know, I'm building a display for an old fish tank to show off some of my engines. It's a small tank, only 5 1/2" x 19" x 8". It has a dust cover with a light, so it's perfect for a display. :thumb:

I started with a wood base and built up a back wall and raised the back track 2". I got this idea to put tunnel portals at one end to add some interest. I gave the whole thing a coat of plaster as a base coat, then, after that dried, I coated the bare rock areas with a stiff mixture of plaster and then pressed some crumpled tin foil onto the wet plaster.

foil_pressed_on.jpg

Here is what it looked like when the foil came off.

fresh_rock_wall.jpg

Here is a close-up of the incline between the tracks.

fresh_track_level_detail.jpg

With a base coat and a few tracks and cars for an experiment, this is what it looks like now.

base_coat_all.jpg

A close-up so you can see the rock details better.

base_coat_cls-up.jpg

I had to fill in the tunnels with some kind of liner as you can see in this pic.

fresh_tunnel_portals.jpg

So when I did the second pour of plaster I made a slightly crumpled tray from some foil and poured the remaining plaster in it to create some rock panels.

tray_pour_extra.jpg

The panels looked like this.

cast_1.jpg
cast_2.jpg

Once trimmed and hot glued to the inside of the tunnels, touched up with a bit of plaster, I now have the effect I wanted.

base_coat_portal_detail.jpg

I had to re-enforce one of the panels with a piece of card board as it was thin and broke, but no one will see this.

tunnel_liner_detail.jpg

So what do you think of my tin foil rock? More photos to come once it's compleat. ;)

TrainClown :wave:

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Innovative to say the least TC. The tin foil rock method has been around and used on many layouts and yours turned out really nicely. Now we just have to wait to see some locos stored there instead of those box cars

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
True Robin. I can't remember where I heard about the tin foil method, but it's one of those good ideas I never forgot. I think the trick is only to slightly crumple the foil before it is applied. Some of the areas were to busy and convoluted and I think this was from the foil being scrunched to much. I fixed this by painting on more plaster to even out the bits I didn't like, also filled some of the air bubbles too.

But, on the whole, I'm happy so far. Engines to come. ;)

TrainClown :D

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Chris, now this is really an innovative way to 'recycle' an old aquarium! And your version really turned out very nice.

I guess the method with crumpled foil was presented for the first time in an old MR some time in the 60's by one of the old greats in our hobby, Bill McClanahan. I've seen examples of rockwork which can compare anytime with latex rubber rock moulds, especially when cracks and fissures are enhanced with some color washes and drybrushed highlights. The structures of your rocks look also very convincing! :thumb:

Do you plan to add some shrubbery? IMHO this would be the frosting on the cake!

Ron

PS: This reminds me - didn't we have some old little fish tanks somewhere in our schoolhouse which weren't quite watertight??? Hmmmmm... :rolleyes:

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
That looks really good, TC.

I like the tunnel interiors, that is one area where most people forget to scenic. I think it ruins the effect when you look in a tunnel and see the underside of hard shell. One fellow cuts black cardstock and forms an arch through his tunnels so you look in and see only darkness. Nice effect.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Thanks Will. Someplace I saw a mold where you could pour sections of tunnel liner out of plaster and assemble them as needed. I saw where a guy made his own tunnel liner on the net some place and never forgot how good it looks.

TrainClown ;)

beeblebrox

Aug 8, 2004
www.geocities.com
I seem to remember this method used on resin or plaster to make rough water. I can see where if you weren't carefull, it could end up looking like one of those old Star Trek sets (chicken wire+canvas+spray texture). Yours looks good, though.