Rock Island

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Bob,

I think Shamus said any thing over 6%, Just dont qoute me its early and I'm just stating my first cup of coffee.But I've been running a 4% grade on my two mains but have a tight radius on one side (19") which is a complete circle that goes under itself.

The other 4% is on a long striaght run which is not a problem for most quility locos. As a rule I only run around 10 to 15 cars. So I don't have too many problems.

I do however believe that 4% is too steep for N-scale but I had to use it to get where I wanted,but like I said it worked out on one side so now I'm going change the other side so its not a full circle. I think that if I put in a 2% in the middle I should be all set.

Shane

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
you're right about that book, Bob...I couldn't live without it!
Here's what my copy looks like...it used to have an orange cover on it.

Attachments

• mvc-008f.jpg
    mvc-008f.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 53

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Just wanted to give you an update on the lay-out. I been busy today.I got alot more done today than I've done all winter (on the lay-out anyways )

Shane

This is before:

Attachments

• picture 021.jpg
    picture 021.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 49

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
This is during,puting in the inclines,bridgesand I threw in the viaduct just for giggles and grins:D :D Actualy I've had that for about 3 yrs it was twice as long as it was.

Attachments

• picture 028.jpg
    picture 028.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 46

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
This is where I left off for the night,maybe, I've got the woodland scenics plaster cloth to fill in the blanks in the inclines, Next is the crumpling of news paper, I'm going to look to see if I have any Aluminum screen some where,then I'll either use the Woodland Scenics Flex Paste or Durabond for a base.The flex paste will probrobly be the best bet.

Shane

Attachments

• picture 029.jpg
    picture 029.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 46

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Shane, That's some power of work you got through!! It's looking great.

No doubt you will have some sort of guard on the edge of the new incline to prevent your pride and joy from trying to fly if it leaves the track for whatever reason.

I like the viaduct too but it seems like a sharp transision between the top of the curve and the level viaduct. I had problems with my old layout which didn't have a gentle transision. (I learned the hard way! :( )

I can see a train with a pair of SD's on the point glide up that incline ... nice!

All in all it's looking real good. We want to see scenery around it by next weekend now that you've got yourself in gear again! :D :D :D

Errol

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Errol,

I've been busy today too, I've got one mountain done and sceniced. I had my two daugthers helping "Throw" the gruond foam on.

On the viaduct,I have raised the center about a half an inch to off set the transition. Hopefully my engine wont be pulling wheelies on the viaduct. Worst comes to worst I can level off the incline a little.:)

Well I've got two little girls who want to do something so I'm going to take them out in the feild and find some "trees" to make up for the lay-out. Gotta keep 'em interested.:D :D :D

I'll post a current picture when we get done.

Shane

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Gee whizz Shane!
I wish I had a field of N trees and willing little helpers to gather them up.

Some guys have all the luck :) .

A mountain a day huh? .... get them thar pics in here friend!

Don't use throttle 8 on the viaduct, Harley's are allowed on it :D .

Errol

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Heres the ledge work,Its a little shiney as I had just finished it when I took the picture.

I live in the country and N-scale trees are grown localy.

As for my two little helpers,when it includes making a mess you can count on them:D :D Ones not my real daughter she adopted me about a year ago as did a few other girls in town seems fathers are rather scarce in these parts. It dont bother me none thier all good kids. They'd be better if they all liked RR's.:) :)

Attachments

• picture 042.jpg
    picture 042.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 103

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
News Flash !!!

The good news:

Athearn Genesis is doing HO scale F7s (both A and A/B) in the Rock Island Line - including the ROCKET scheme !!! They are also doing the red and black scheme (I don't know why - most of us have Stewarts).

:)

Due out in August.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/newproducts/cr/200204/Locomotive

The bad news:

Cost !!!

Walthers is showing $240 for the A/B set !!!!

:eek:

I may have to have a garage sale - and sell the garage !!!

- George

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
George,

I found a DL109 in N-scale. Made by Con-Cor. But theres only two problems. they don't have RI and the retail price is $109US and none are powered. Little out of my price range right now.

Thier supposed to repower them at the end of 2001 so I'll wait to see the price on them then.

I think they have the "Big Ben" car your looking for but they wrote Southern and Rhode Island Golden State on the header, Must be a typo. The cars are silver and red. Isn't the one your looking for all silver though?

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Thanks for the info, Pete!

Shane: Must be - Rhode Island isn't big enough for a train, is it?
I think the loco would be at one state line while the caboose is at the other!

It is surprising how often I see that error, though!

A photo of "Big Ben" is in the "RI... Equipment" book on page 18. It's silver with a green stripe!

- George

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Speaking of The Rock, some of you may be interested to know that there is a dedicated Rock Island forum over at www.railroad-line.com. Yours truly is the moderator (I'm still not sure how that happened).

While I love The Gauge wwwaaaaaayyyyy more (better graphics, better functionality), I've been hanging out at both recently. A number of other regulars here at The Gauge can be found over there as well.

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Mike,

I only come to The-Gauge I've been to a couple others but gave up on them.

I saw your post the other day but been too busy fishing to go to the the forum you mentioned. Now I am so sunburned that I can hardly move.Got a 6 pound bass this morning.

I did find some bushes that produces a brach that looks almost like a pine tree when I was trapping bait fish. Now I need to find the time to put some ground foam on them.I just did a bunch of trees.

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Mike,

Cant get there from here,I tried to go in to the forum you listed but got a page on boats, then tried the rc/trains forums and things went crazy. I'll try going over later maybe a server problem? Is there an easier way there with out going through the boat page?