Rock Island

RI541

heres a picture of my service yard,I hope this comes out,its a new camera.

Shane

Attachments

• crop.jpg
    crop.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 80

IMRL393

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

THE GOOD photo of your layout is neat, Shane! Like seeing the BL2 and the RS-3 working away! Gotta get a digital camera, SOMEDAY. Which camera did you get ?? Also GOOD - I got a E6A off e-Bay - the red-maroon-silver scheme must be the greatest colors in railroad history!

THE BAD thing is that I also got a new RI E8A in. And on the second trip arround the layout it jumped track and took a dive to a concrete floor ....

:) :eek: :(

... busted shell, broken drive shafts. And one less RI model in the world. Does anyone put protective barriers at the edge of the layout ???

THE UGLY thing is the appearance of the layout and house for the next few months - will be breaking down the layout and packing my (remaining) locos and rolling stock for a move in June-July to a new house. Once the layout is up there, I'll try to post a picture. The layout location is under study / negotiation ....

THE END of this midWESTERN story: does anyone have a list of the steamers (type and number) that the RIL owned ???? Could you post them ???? Thanks!

Later!

- George

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Protective Barriers

I have had a similar experience with my previous layout and my new one will definitely have protective barriers becuse my track is 58inches above the floor.

RI541

George,

I hope this isn't to big or to small.

its not a complete list

Shane

Attachments

• ri steam roster.jpg
    ri steam roster.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 86

RI541

George,

I hope this is what you needed,sorry I dont have a complete list

Shane

Ps I just down sized the picture of my service yard to get rid of all the white.My problem is I have four programs that do this stuff but I can only almost understand one:eek: :D

You wouldn't believe how much I've learned how to use this box of wires just by coming on "the-Gauge"

RI541

Heres a picture of my E8 and B-units coming out of the tunnel on the out skirts of Linnyville. I'll post a better picture later when its dark out since my layout isin front of a picture window.

Shane

Attachments

• service yard 015.jpg
    service yard 015.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 84

IMRL393

Hi Shane -

Like the photo - looks like looking down a valley in late afternoon.
My plans for a maroon and yellow E8A just took a dive ....

Thanks for the steam listing - JUST what I wanted!

And the "key" year of 1948 is perfect - and my birth year, to boot!

It confirms to me that the two main steam locos that I want is the 2-8-2 "Mike" (which I have) and the 2-8-0 (which is now on my "wish list").

Later!

- George

RI541

Didnt have time last night to take pictures played cards with friends,I'm gonna play a little this morning before the sun gets on this side the house.

I did get another RPO for my passenger set.A Rivorssi,I found it in the consignment boxes for $6.00. not bad but since she already had MTL trucks and couplers it paid for itself there. I'll paint her up soon.

Shane

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
George,
I know the feeling of seeing a loco doing an impersonation of a shot down plane. I had a Northwest Shortline brass 2-8-2T buy a chunk of concrete. I was able to rebend most of the damage, and it actually runs again, but not as well as it used to.
Pete

kf4jqd

Shane and Ebay

So Shane is out bidding me on Ebay?! :eek: Oh well, it means less for me to move!

One comment for George.
When you are modeling the QCA. Make sure you add the JI Case plant in Bettendorf! It's torn down now, but in it's hay day. The Rock would haul their equiment to Case's customers. They had a pretty big loading area and switch yard.

My Grandfather worked there after WWII. MY Dad worked as an accountant until the Case plant was shut down in the 1980's. He was later transfered to the Wausau, Wisconsin Case Plant.

Also George. Don't forget International Harvester (IH) in East Moline. They also used the Rock. I also believe John Deere used the Rock.

The Rock Island line had a big role to play in the Quad Cites. It makes it a challenge and fun to model that area. You have everything. The Mississippi River, Big Industary, Passenger Service, Growing Cities, All 4 Seasons, Rock Island Aresenal, plus you go far back as the Pre-Civil War Days.

Lots and lots of ideas if you are a Rock Island Fan want to model a section of the Line. The Quad Cites Area does have it.

Andy

IMRL393

Hi Andy!

Thanks for the input! Sometimes I think my layout will need to be as BIG as the QCA to get everything in !!!

For now, it's "on hold" for a possible move of my own (if the finances go through). THEN there is the discussion about where the new layout will be in the new house...we are (hopefully) moving from a Bettendorf rental to a Davenport home. If the deal fares better than my late E8A!

Speaking of which, what did Shane and you bid for, and how come Mike and I weren't bidding, too ??!!??

- George

PS We were going up Ripley from River Drive, and saw the RR bridge with the old RI herald on it (faded, but there!). And the old station is just to the west - MUST get some photos!!!

RI541

Hi,

Andy I usally dont bid against other people I know if its in HO but in N-scale if I realy want it I will bid to the highest price that I think the item is worth.

I picked an Athern 3pk of RI express cars the other week that George had been looking for,I asked him if he wanted them before I started bidding.I also saw Mike bidding on something so I didn't bid since it was HO and I realy dont need anymore unless its some thing odd ball or collectable.

If I see something that Mike or George might be interrested in I let them know.

George,

There's another Crown car up for bid I had the number but I lost in the rubble around my desk.:(

Andy,

Did I win??

Shane

rockislandmike

And I for one certainly appreciate it, Shane.

PS - my final ebay purchase arrived two days ago; definitely a Tyco red/yellow "Sharknose".

RI541

I just got the Athern special edtion 3pk today.Brightned up my day a little. waiting for five more happy packages this week and next. then I'm done with Ebay for awhile.Bills come first and savings is down low.
I was going to work on the lay-out all day today but my back and legs desided that, that was a bad idea.Hopefully I can get something done tommrow.
I'm thinking of ripping up some serius trackage while my hillside is open( ripped that out last weekend for a bridge ).

Shane

Has any of you ho guys seen the new Athearn RI box van?Athern # 2751

IMRL393

Originally posted by RI541

Has any of you ho guys seen the new Athearn RI box van?Athern # 2751 - Shane

Only a photo for one on bid on e-Bay.

Walthers has them in:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?quick=140-2751

One is on my Walthers "wish list" - maybe I'll get it for my birthday....

I'm saving up for the Galesburg RR Days model train show, and for that P2K GP18, of course. With all the "borrowing" I did earlier, that's about my budget until December !!!

Meanwhile, I'm trying to deside how to pack up all the rolling stock for the move in early June - I have the original boxes for most of the locos, so that's less of a problem.

Did youi see how the Yahoo CRI&P poll came out?

Top five locos wanted:

1. C415 in red/yellow

2. Gp7 in blue
tied with
2. U30C in red and yellow

3. GP7 in red and yellow
tied with
3. H15-44 in red and black

- George

RI541

Well I did it I ripped up over a third of my lay-out. But I put on some extentions to give me room for a very small yard.The bad thing is I have to use 4% inclines but thats the way it goes I guess.

When I build my next lay-out I'm going to do a track plan,or ten track plans or as many as it takes to get one I like with 2% inclines.

With what I did today I have to reconfigure my two main lines as now I cant run them the way they where with out a cross over but I like running two trains and being able to walk away for awhile without having to worry about a collision.

Back to the drawing board:) :)

Shane

Bob Collins

Of all of the reading materials I have accumulated regarding model railroading I still think the best investment I have made was to purchase a copy of "101 Track Plans for Model Railroaders" by the late Linn Westcott and published by Kalmbach.

Even if you don't use one of their plans, it has so many neat ideas about sizes, landscaping, types of operation (loop to loop, point to point, etc) that it is well worth the money. I think it also tells you as much about what isn't good planning which I also appreciated very much.

My copy is starting to fall apart because I probably read through it every day for six months or more trying to decide what I wanted to do. I probably changed my mind a dozen times before I decided what to build. Having done it this way I would never, ever try to build a layout without a plan.

I think it was Shamus who remarked that 4% inclines should be pretty much reserved for logging and mining operations, so I imagine that if you are trying to use them on mainline operations you will hear some grunting and groaning from your motive units:eek:

Bob