Rock Island Model Rosters

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
DIAMOND YARD PAINT FACILITY OPENS!

Mike,

That revised system works for me. I just got an email saying that my Bel paper is on its way via UPS.

So, soon I will be doing my ROCK schemes and the new GUAG RR markings.

Today I received my Caboose Hobbies order....my Bachmann Sanding towers came.

Another email: Discount Trains Online has shipped my Diesel Sanding Racks (4) and the remaining sanding towers.

Also got my decals....finally. ROCK, MOPAC, BN, ATSF and diesel number boards (lighted). Whew! Never thought they would get here.

Just waiting on the TRAINWORLD order now. But, the paintshop is open and what I have already done is going in soon. Still working on the ballast on the display module, and haven't picked up the camera yet.

I am sure it will all come together in a week or so.

Later.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
My First Atlas

I was surprised to see that I didn't have any Atlas's when I looked at my motive rosters the other night. However, that wasn't too last long, as I popped into my LHS yesterday and, lo and behold, there was the ALCO S-1 in Rock Island maroon. At $89.99CDN ($57.30US), I couldn't say no (especially since I felt guilty from snubbing them two weeks ago to save $150CDN on a brass model I found elsewhere).

Very nice unit, and runs great. Perfect match for the maroon color, and surprisingly, even the trucks are painted the right color (silver). Some other very nice detailing features that compares very favorably to the prototype photos I found. Needs a lot of weathering for my 1980 layout, but it'll look great alongside my bankruptcy blue SW1500's.

My only complaint, of course, is the hornhook couplers. But I'll replace those pretty quick. Oh, and the handrails should be painted white on the corners, but I can't think of any manufacturer that does that.

<< ironically, mere hours after finding this beauty, I successfully bid on an Atlas U23B in MOPAC flavor >>

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
Mike,

I wouldn't have passed that up either! Was that an Atlas Master unit?

When we gonna see pics of all your new units?

Hey, thanks for joining my yahoo group. I hope the pace of things pick up there. Mosslake has posted a few messages, and I have been trying to answer them as time permits. I gotta start updating the website, and get some roster photos there.

Did you happen to see my weathered cars on RR-Line before it went down? I also did a pre-roster of a few pieces of BN and ATSF equipment for Tom Fassett's thread he had started in the photo forum there.

What ticks me off is that I was not able to get to the pics that were buried under the posts, before they got shut down. Maybe I will email Joe and ask if he can send me a CD of them or something. Won't hurt to try. The worst he can say is "no".

Gonna go work on ballast some more.

Later.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
(1) Not a Master
(2) Very soon I hope, gotta get that durned camera back from my bro
(3) Lot more traffic at your yard group yesterday !
(4) I did see the weathered cars, look very kewl. I love weathering cars. I'm not sure I have my wife convinced it's necessary yet though, she always thinks it's weird I paint these units/structures up really nice, then make them look like crap. Makes her laugh.
(5) I got your email with your roster this morning on email. Only had time to take a cursory look, but looks very kewl. I'll have to send you my roster (it's in excel of course) - the beautiful thing about mine is, that even if I add a unit that wasn't necessary in my target roster (like the S1), the spreadsheet calculates an all-new target roster. I might together another spreadsheet that compares yours and mine target rosters tooooo......

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
Mike,

The Woman always kids with me. I weathered those two cars, and a few more and she says she will have to, as a birthday present, clean them all up so that they are nice and shiny...

I said, well then you won't have to worry about killing me for my money then. She goes...WHY? (which is always a running joke with us) and I said because I will have a bloody heart attack!!

LOL!

My two Bachmann car shops came today. Still waiting on my Bel order and my Trainworld order! I wish they would hurry it up!!

LOL! :D :D

Looking forward to your pics. Thanks for checking out the .doc I sent ya.

Later.

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
Andy,

Nice site, but out of my era. Sorry.

Mike,

Trainworld finally arrived!!!!!!!

Plus, the Bel paper also arrived. Now I just need to get down to Lowes for the Krylon spray.

The MWDLRR took possession of 18 new units yesterday afternoon. Among which was the P2K BN SD60M!!

Now if my MOPAC GP15-1s would just get here. Oh well.

Later.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
HEY HEY back at ya. Internettrains sent me an email this aftn to tell me they shipped my order!!!! Whoot-whoot, this is an odd one but a good 'un: two locos (IHC Rock C-415, Athearn SD45 ATSF Kodachrome), four cars (three MOPAC covered hoppers, one MOPAC caboose), and four decal sets (two graffitis, a MOPAC covered hopper so I can renumber two of them, and NOPB boxcar for an undec boxcar I have).

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
Mike,

Sounds like we both are going to be really busy this week.

Just got my Discount Trains Online order today via UPS! More Bachmann kits to start building-4 Sanding Racks and 2 Sanding Towers.

All that is left is my remaining Trainworld stuff and my HUGE order from the Con-Cor yardsale site. And the Walthers engines.

Later.

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
The original RI station, two blocks to the east of the bridge in the photo. Now just a parking lot, alas!

Attachments

• ridavstation.jpg
    ridavstation.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 72

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Guess who got the digital camera back . . . . .

rock945.jpg

rock947.jpg