Robson's Mining World - lots of pictures

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Yesterday, we drug the travel trailer out to a place called Robson's Mining World near Aguilla, AZ. My dad is an old engine nut and volunteers to "play" with everything so they have running examples during shows. Picture number one is a corner view of what you see when you first enter the main street.

DCP_5032_Robsons_front_view_low_res.jpg

Next up, since I need to keep this train related, you can see an old mining train type thing.

DCP_5014_mining_train_low_res.jpg

The rest of the pictures don't really have much to do with trains directly, but since mining and trains often went hand in hand, hopefully you can make an exception. Next up, there was this huge motor with a little wrench attached to the side of it. Any guesses on how big that wrench is? I'll post the answer later.

DCP_5023_big_wrench_before_low_res.jpg

Lessee, now comes quite a few vehicles. The first two were a couple of characters. The one on the right was not running at this show but my dad says he will have it running for the next one. It's actually an old dump truck that is operated by a chain lift. The one on the left, we did get started and took it out for a spin. What a blast! It took me three hours to wipe the grin off my face after that ride. Unfortunately, as we were trying to back it back in under the barn, the whole shifting linkage broke off and we had to park her where she stopped. Off to the blacksmith with the broken parts and a short while later she was ready to be put back together.

DCP_5008_two_trucks_low_res.jpg

A couple more trucks... the one on the left was operating... the one on the right was not.

DCP_5009_two_other_trucks_low_res.jpg

And, a bunch of engines... ALL of which were running, making noise, and one diesel that made an incredible amount of smoke.

DCP_5010_lotsa_engines_low_res.jpg

This one was my favorite, a 1919 White. Last year, evidently they towed it all over trying to get it start with no luck. This year they did not even try. Too bad.... I wanted a ride in that one!

DCP_5017_1919_White_low_res.jpg

This was the neatest little bulldozer type thing. It was designed real low to fit inside of a shaft. The bucket actually rides up over the cab on rails and dumps the contents into a cart following behind.

DCP_5035_mining_loader_low_res.jpg

And as you can see it is getting late in the day. This last one is a cute little dump truck. Can you imagine how tight the turning radius is on this one?

DCP_5036_little_dumper_low_res.jpg

Don't forget to give me a guess on the size of that wrench mentioned up above!
If you liked these pictures and want to see a few more, let me know.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Ya know, we lived in Wickenburg for four years, probably less than ten miles from there, but never thought to visit it. Those are really cool pics, post as many as you like. Makes me want to go drive up there now that we've moved away.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Cool place...!!! Those antique vehicles & machinery should be preserved so the up & coming ones get the idea that not everything was "online" or came with a 5-speed automatic...

That wrench was probably for a 2-56 screw... That's 2 foot long and 56 pounds of weight...!!! :D

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Well I know that the suspense is probably killing you on how big that wrench is :D so check it out!!! That should give you a pretty good idea of the size. As far as weight... I dunno. It took almost everything I had to get it up onto my leg like that. Down on the open end, it was at least 2 inches thick.

DCP_5041_big_wrench_after_low_res.jpg

steamhead said:
Those antique vehicles & machinery should be preserved so the up & coming ones get the idea that not everything was "online" or came with a 5-speed automatic... That wrench was probably for a 2-56 screw... That's 2 foot long and 56 pounds of weight...!!! :D
The amount of equipment out there that is just sitting unprotected and rotting/rusting away would make you sick. Most of the engines stored outside do not even have cans over the exhaust pipes. As far as the wrench, my little boy weighs almost 40 pounds and this wrench felt like three of him.
eightyeightfan1 said:
I want to know one thing. Why is it attatched to the engine?
Were they afraid of loosing it?
There are so many things on open display out there and it would be very easy for that wrench to become detached from the piece of equipment it belongs to. While I was there, nearly everybody who walked past that engine had to try and pick up the wrench.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Robson's revisited

Today I went back out to Robson's Mining World to help my dad play with the engines and stuff before they close up for the summer. Since I've already swamped you with pictures from this place, I won't bore you with too many more. Today I was feeling a little artsy and the first two pictures reflect that.

DCP_5405_low_res.jpg

DCP_5408_low_res.jpg

Lastly, remember way back in this thread, I had a picture of a 1919 White and I said I really wanted to ride in it but it did not want to start? Today, they got it running. Turns out, the carburetor was gummed up something fierce (Thanks for your help on that Olly!) My dad and I took it out for a spin! What fun. Definitely my highlight of the day. On the way back, the clutch was so hard to push in that my dad got tired and had me finish bringing it back to the shed and back it in and put it away for the season. It boggles my mind to think this truck was created 50 years before I was even born and at 87 years old, it still can stretch out for a little drive. That's my mom and dad tooling around in it in the picture!

DCP_5417_low_res.jpg

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Just so you know, I found this in today's edition of the Wickenburg Sun:
Wickenburg area destination resort Robson’s Mining World was recently sold to Bob and Deidre Schena of Philadelphia, Pa. Ms. Schena is a daughter of Jeri Robson, co-founder of the resort.

Along with the purchase, the Schenas have decided to cease daily operation for the general public and concentrate on group events. The resort will not open to the public in October as originally planned but will honor the many group reservations that have already been booked.

So TrainNut, you've seen your last visit to there... at least for now. Me, I kept saying I was going to go, but I guess now I won't be able to.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Durn, that was a lot of fun. Still, I'm sure they like to have some of the engines and stuff running for the group events and if that's the case, they'll call in my dad and I can still probably sneak in with him to help. If they never plan on running any of the stuff out there anymore, well that's just a shame to let it all waste away like that.