Roadtrips & Daydreams...

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Just got back from a trip down to Florida to see my BRAND NEW GRANDSON!!!:D :cool: :cool: :D
Now...everybody got their cigar?:D

Anyway, I drove the old roads down through the middle of Alabama, which has a rich history of iron, & steel production, & it got me to musing on the theme for a layout...(ok, ok, I've gone off my medication again! :D)
How about a steam era mining operation in some low foothills, with a rail line traversing down through semi-tropic coastal marshes, connecting eith a seaport terminal?
The scenic possibilities are many...mine facility in the hills, branchline through wet woodlands, with lots of water, & trestlework...seaport terminal, with waterfront scenery...
Operations woiuld be sweet, & simple, point to point...mine to terminal, connected by branch.
The size could be anything from a small tabletop, to basement-size...Idealy, I think around the wall, shelf style would be best.
For me, this is just a daydream...(that's just the way my sick mind works :D) But who knows? Maybe somebody will pick this up, & run with it!
Thanks for letting me rave about it...I know I can find some kindred spirits here! So I'll toss it to you guys, & see where it goes!

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hey Charlie, (Grandad !) that must have been very nice seeing a new born again, I have 5 Grandchildren of which three live in Florida with my Daughter and Son-in-Law. Only get to see them once a year. Anyway, thanks for the thread, very interesting.

Shamus

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Charlie, The aera around Birmingham and Bessmer Alabama once rivaled Pittsburgh in the production of Iron and Steel...Its been several years since I've been up that way but there is a ton of things that could be modeled...even some industrial narrow gauge hehe!!!!

A theme that comes to mind would be a class one railroad that ships iron and steel products from B'ham to the port at Mobile, AL. It would encompass everything from moutains to marshlands and of course it would have to be steam era.