Roadbed

Buddog

Jan 14, 2006
St. George, Ontario, Canada
Does anyone in the southern Ontario Canada (Hamilton Brantford area) Know where I can buy Homosote or somthing like it? I went to my local Homedepot and got the deer in headlights look :confused:when I asked about it ..
I have a good section of my new layout base ready and I can;t wait to start laing track, but first I need roadbed.

Thanks

n2trains

Feb 2, 2004
Visit site
I'm not sure if this helps, but I might as well mention it.

I have gone to a number of places and got the same look. Home depot in washington state gave me that look when I asked about it, but I found that finding it online on a major chain store helped a good bit. I was finally able to get it special ordered through Home Depot (though it took some, well not quite harassing but close, doing). Hope this helps, just ask them if they can order it (it's not TOO much extra). You just have to order something like 3 sheets of 4x8 minimum or something.

n2trains

Feb 2, 2004
Visit site
MasonJar said:
Maybe check with the local train shops - there's Modeller's Choice in Hamilton, and Trains on Brant in Burlington.

Andrew

Most places where I'm at don't carry any sheets large enough to make it worthwhile. I saw sheets that were ~1x2 in washington state when I lived there, but it was so expensive it made going to Home Depot worthwhile to the fullest extent.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Home Depot also carries Homasote strips to be used as concrete pouring forms at most of their stores in California. None of these stores have te 4x8 sheets in stock but they do have the strips. The strips are about 3.5" wide and 10ft long for about $3.49 each. Their located with all the concrete materials, not with lumber. Some places call it Homex.

Hope this helps

Buddog

Jan 14, 2006
Thanks for the Ideas I will try Modelers Choice tomorrw been there many times and I sure they will have some suggestions, didn't even think to ask them? The strips for concrete pouring would work to I will check out that section at the Homedepot here and maybe the bigger ones in Hamilton.

I will start posting some pics of my progress in that next couple weeks..

Tom

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Tom, I found Homasote, by accident, at Ontario Plywood Specialties in Hamilton, on Centennial Parkway near the QEW. I was looking for veneered plywood, but happened to notice a display under the Homasote name. I am uncertain as to exactly what products they carry: I didn't ask about it because I don't use it, so you might want to call them before making the trip down. Their 'phone number is 905-561-3576.

Wayne

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
You can try these guys. http://www.homabed.com/

I've never bought or even seen the stuff in real life, but it looks interesting. I haven't compaired prices either, but if I had unlimited funds, I sure would give it a try.

Anybody ever try them?

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Tom: over 20 years ago, our local lumberyard, affiliated with Home Hardware (not the depot) had an empty slot for Homasote. I ordered a couple of sheets, but after a few months I went in and got my deposit back. Lumberyard is now the GO station parking lot.
One of my friends phoned the lumber yards in the Toronto Yellow Pages and found a yard that stocked it and would deliver. (that was 12 years ago!)

Grotto

Jun 29, 2006
Toronto
OH COme on. A little further into Toronto and you can visit lots of cool stuff while your here. Just don't go to George's trains with your wallet or youl declare bankrupty upon your return.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Buddog said:
Well the last time I went to George's Trains my wife would not talk to me for a week, so I would agree with you on your warning..

Tom

Gee, that sounds like almost enough incentive for me to drive all the way to Toronto.:D

Wayne

Buddog

Jan 14, 2006
Been awhile since I have been able to go to any hobby shops in the area, A little someone came into my world on the second of Nov, her name is Julia and after a few weeks in the hospital she has finally came home:) :) :) :) . She was six weeks early, but she's doing really well, now that she is somewhat settled I can go down stairs for a short time.

So today on my way to the store for more dipairs:D I stopped at a hobby shop and bought some cork roadbed, its much easier to get and I just can't wait to start laying track.

Once I get some track laied, I will be post some pics of the bench work and track so far.

Tom

Buddog

Jan 14, 2006
Georges Trains is almost a hour away, so I have not been there in almost a year, I imagine they would know where to get it, but with all thats going on right now cork will due.
I am hoping to get there before Christmas (always like going there and looking around..) And yes the staff there are still very knowelgeable, at least from any experiences I have had there.

Tom