Roadbed ?

UPJunkie

Aug 8, 2003
Nixa,Mo
www.geocities.com
If you guys was me would you use Raodbed or not. I have used roadbed before and it is a sob to work with for me it is but i just want to know if you guys would use it or not

3phase

Nov 12, 2004
Jacksonville, Florida
www.suprhost.com
ak-milw said:
I use cork roadbed on all my mainlines. My yards and sidings don't get any.:cool:
I'm working on 1/2" plywood, I stoped using the foam bedding because i didn't like the finnished product so now i'm not using anything.

So far the only disadvantage is the table amplifies the noise of the running train and when it comes time to start laying stone and such it will be even with the grass and not raised.... But if you think about it out of all the real railroads you have seen how far are they raised?

Here in florida they are pretty much even with the grass...

ScottyB

Dec 12, 2004
Mount Pleasant, WI
Anyone use Woodland Scenics?

Hey 3phase, as far as the foam you didn't like... what kind/type of foam is it that you didn't care for? I was thinking about using Woodland Scenic's Track-Bed (link here) because I saw the demo of it in my LHS.

Or if anyone has had any experience with this roadbed, I was just wondering what you thought of it.

Thanks all,
ScottyB

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
My Ho industrial switching layout doesn't use any form of road bed.I just spiked my track to the homasote that covers the layout..You see industrial areas doesn't usually have any road bed.

jdscales040

Sep 6, 2004
Wind Gap, PA
www.angelfire.com
brakie said:
My Ho industrial switching layout doesn't use any form of road bed.I just spiked my track to the homasote that covers the layout..You see industrial areas doesn't usually have any road bed.
Same here! My shortline (based on a trolley line in West virginia) doesn't use raised roadbed. I lay my track on the homosote then use cinders, grass, weeds and real dirt I've screened and run over a magnet to get out any metal as what little ballast there is.
Looks just what it is, an almost down and out railroad. I even put dips and crooked rail in sidings and some parts of the main. I use code 70 for the main track and code 55 and now some code 40 in the sidings and spurs.
John D.
Wetzel & Tyler Railroad

dhutch

Nov 14, 2004
www.spurstow.com
im laying onto 4mm flooring cork, ontop of 6mm play base board, but even with the cork the noise it more than i like, so i might look into some damping on the bottom of the ply

daniel